Thursday, January 8, 2015

January, so far

On Tuesday morning, I wrangled the kids out of bed at dark o'clock and headed to the school for an early morning IEP meeting with Ethan's teachers and therapists and assistant principal and I have no idea who else because 1) it was the second day back after break and 2) I was not really awake yet. And we sat and went over the 18 pages of assessments and goals and then I dropped the kids off at their classes and went home and hid in my bed for the rest of the day. And then Wednesday morning I put on my gym clothes and then took the kids to school and then came home and hid in my bed for the rest of the day.

I always have this weird reaction to Ethan's IEP and also to his medical appointments. I don't feel bad about them at the time necessarily, but then I spend two days barely functional, just completely worn out and only able to do the bare necessities of life. I'm always surprised by this reaction- the IEP meetings are largely a positive thing- I get to interact with the big team of people who is working to help Ethan and see their goals for the next year. But it's still 18 pages of reminders that my kid has problems and so many challenges. Not that he seems to know that, Ethan is a "glass completely full" kind of person. But still.

Today is better and I put on my gym clothes this morning and actually went to the gym. And did laundry and started cleaning the bathroom before getting distracted by something on Facebook. And the sun is shining and all is well again in my head. At least to the level that things are ever well in my head.

In other news, on Sunday night I made all of Vivian's cheese sandwiches for the week and washed and bagged up all of the grapes for both of their lunches and cooked all of the chicken nuggets that I had left for Ethan's lunches. I estimate that it's saving me less than 2 minutes per day, but it's amazing the difference it makes in my evening routine, to just have one less thing to deal with. Definitely a win for me.

No comments: