Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Chess Club and other recent excitement

It's suddenly early October and our lives are firmly ensconced in our fall schedule.  The kids now have homework and swim lessons and chess club and I'm ready to drop from tiredness by 7 PM every night.  Ethan's math homework is already making me feel like an idiot who knows nothing about math.  I studied math for many years and made it through Calculus II, but am confused by 1st grade math.  In my defense, I skipped first grade, so possibly that's the problem.

Ethan's still steadfastly managing to avoid learning to read beyond the very basics. Last night both kids had books that repeated the word "things" on every.single.page and both kids were completely unable to remember that word from one page to the next and my brain exploded.  Homework time is challenging because neither kid can really do his/her homework on their own, so it's a long process.

They are also not really making progress in swim lessons, but I'm determined that they are going to get it this time around, so swim lessons will be continuing on for the foreseeable future. 

But, in happy news, they both started chess club last night and both love it. Vivian likes the social aspect of meeting new friends (she's suddenly become very outgoing) and Ethan has this mysterious love of chess. We still aren't sure who taught him the basics, but he knows them somehow. He doesn't understand strategy yet, of course, but that's what chess club is for. He loves all sports and struggles so much at them that it's thrilling to see him finally finding something that he is decently good at. And yes, chess counts as a sport in some parts of the world, so we are counting it here.

In other news, I went to Cancun a few weeks ago for work and melted, but it was fun to see the beautiful views and drink margaritas for a living.  I suffer for my job.  I also started working on marketing reports for work, which appeals to my organizing side, so am enjoying that as well.  Much more fulfilling than cleaning my floors for the 400th time that day. 

And this weekend we went to the pumpkin patch and it was fun and sunny and we had a great time.  It's still warm here, so doesn't really feel like fall yet, but the activities are making it seem like fall is coming. I'm happy to hang on to the warm weather for a little while longer though.

And that's what's been going on here.

No comments: