Monday, September 15, 2014

This weekend my husband rode his bike 94 miles and I did not change out of my pajamas.

Daniel's new hobby of riding distances that I feel are long even when traveling them in the car is a little hard for me to wrap my brain around. Yet he keeps doing it and I keep being simultaneously proud and confused. This weekend he got up bright and early on Saturday (I assume it was bright, I have no idea. I was sleeping, like a normal person on a Saturday morning) and met his friend somewhere downtown and they joined a bunch of other crazy people and biked their way around Puget Sound.

The kids and were exhausted from our first full week of school and activities, so we had decided on Friday evening to just sit around on Saturday.  So they played on their tablets and then Ethan played Wii and then we watched a Star Wars movie and then around 4 PM we started all getting on each other's nerves, so I went and hid on the front porch with a book.

Sunday we had church and errands to run and then cleaned the house and had people over for dinner and then I was in "overwhelmed introvert" mood and then I went and hid on the front porch with a book. I have no idea what I'm going to do when it's too cold to hide out there in the evenings.

In other news, it's day 1 of Color Weeks at Vivian's school. The kindergartners have to wear a specific color every day for two whole weeks.  It caused the expected mess this morning, as some parents forgot and had upset non-matching children on their hands and other parents sat around and shared the challenge with finding clothes for their kids in the stores, especially when one doesn't want to spend much money on a clothing item that is not in a color the child likes.  Fortunately for us, Vivian is the same size as Ethan and can wear his shirts. I have no idea how pink and purple are going to work next week. Not to encourage gender stereotyping, but you don't see a lot of pink and purple on kindergarten aged boys, and most of the clothing in those colors also feature princesses and sparkles.  And seriously, it's enough trouble to get any clothing on these kids and to school on time anyway.

In other other news, I just signed my kids up for Chess Club.  I have no idea how that's going to go, but they seem interested and Ethan randomly knows how to play chess already. It would be nice to find something that comes easily to him. Those things are far and few between these days.

No comments: