Monday, September 8, 2014

Laundry. And other Monday morning excitement.

Well, we survived our first Monday morning school dropoff of the year. Ethan's classroom is on the second floor of the school, and last week he went upstairs with one of his classmates, but today had to walk up all alone and he looked so teeny tiny. I haven't heard from the school, so I assume he made it up the stairs.  This is challenging for both of us :)

And then after sending my tiny son up the stairs in a mass of elementary schoolers, I walked my tinier baby to her class where she managed to remember to give me a kiss before pretty much skipping off to her class. Kindergarten is a BIG hit with Vivian. She even made some friends last week. Currently her biggest challenge is recess, because she doesn't like big groups of kids. She reports that she and one other girl just walk around.  Recess was pretty much Ethan's only reason for attending school, so it's funny to see the perspective of a different kid.

I'm loving having actual free time to accomplish actual things. I made it to the gym today and have Bible study tomorrow. I wrote an article in under an hour because I could actually complete entire thoughts without interruption. Kind of weird. Mostly I am liking it as much as I thought I would, but times like after I do school dropoff or on my way to pick them up or when I need to run an errand and I have no little hand to hold... then I get a bit panicky about this whole kids growing up thing.

I've also loved the time that I have to think and meditate and pray.  Daniel and I both feel that there's something new around the corner for us.  We have no idea what it is, but we're both praying for wisdom and the ability to hear God clearly when He speaks to us.  I just finished reading Jen Hatmaker's book Interrupted last week.  Sat down to read a chapter of it and got up 2 hours later having read the whole thing. It really spoke to me where I'm at. Not wanting life to just be about being middle class comfortable Christians, but wanting to truly be His hands and feet in the world. And maybe that just looks like volunteering at school and being involved at church right now and remembering that folding 500 loads of laundry per day is my ministry to my family. I'm fine with that.  But still listening and praying.

In other news, I'm apparently going to Cancun for the weekend at the end of the month. D and the kids aren't coming on this trip, but they are going to Canada  to see his family, which is a win-win for all of us. I need to go buy sunscreen or something.

No comments: