Sunday, June 1, 2014

My tiny baby is 5.

I turned my back for a second and this
 Became this.
 Hold me. 

I cannot believe I have a 5 year old. Oh, and an almost 7 year old.  I don't have little babies anymore, I have two schoolaged kids.  Who are relatively independent (or at least one of them is) and don't need me as much anymore. Which is mostly okay, because I'm not crazy about needy people, and babies are the definition of needy people. But still. It's weird.

Yesterday at Vivian's birthday party, Liz and I looked at each other and expressed simultaneous confusion about the fact that we're pretty sure we were celebrating Ethan's 5th birthday at the same place just last week, and somehow almost 2 years have passed. 

So, to my Vivian who decided to become a grown up girl even though I expressly forbid it.  You're such a fun person to have around.  You've been so mature for years, and now when I spend time with you, we have conversations and share thoughts. We play pretend and you make up great stories. You always beat me at UNO, even though I'm pretty sure you're not cheating.  Your brother simultaneously drives you crazy and is your best friend. I can't buy clothes for you without your approval first and you have a definite sense of what you want to wear.  No one can talk you into doing something that you don't want to do, but once you make up your mind about something, nothing can change your course.  You challenge me, terrify me with your diabolical plans to take over the family, and make my heart smile every single day.  I love that you still love to give Daddy and I snuggles and hugs. We were so blessed when you arrived 5 years ago. Thank you for being our daughter.

No comments: