Monday, August 19, 2013

Totally random things about me

It's the first day back at grad school, so I'm procrastinating..... BIG TIME.  I swear, cobwebs have taken over all of my brain space since April.  Ugh. 

So, for your reading enjoyment, here are random things about me. 

1) I get asked for directions constantly.  I have a few theories as to why.  First of all, I'm short and chubby, so very non-threatening.  Second, I walk fast and look purposeful. Maybe I look like I know where I'm going.  I've been asked for directions pretty much everywhere, including in foreign countries. It's really weird.

2) I love filling out forms.  When else in life do I have all of the answers? The exception to this is immunization forms. Those kill me.

3) My kids collect rocks. But not fancy rocks.  We're talking pieces of gravel or random medium-sized brown/grey rocks. 

4) I dislike the outdoors intensely.  I do not get along with sweating, dirt or bugs.  But in the past 18 months I have climbed a glacier, gone ziplining, done an aerial rope course, explored a series of caves, kayaked (twice!), ridden a bike, and camped.  It's disturbing.

5)  I have an insane phobia of calling people on the phone.  I blame the summer I worked as a telemarketer and then in a customer service phone bank and the fact that I had to answer the phone a lot when I was a kid and be polite to the church members who were calling (my dad is a pastor) and I used up all my phone skills then.  I now only call my grandmother.  And when people call me, I often don't answer the phone. I have issues.

6) I don't like reading books to my kids, because when I read books out loud, I have to read them in order. When I read to myself, I read a paragraph or two at a time, not necessarily in order and not all of the words.  This method has served me well for 30 odd years, including in school and my old job, when I was known for my skills as a document summarizer.  It does not translate to reading to kids and I'm having to read more carefully for this round of classes as well, since I'm often reading document from hundreds of years ago. But for the fluffy chick lit stuff and fiction that I read on my own, it works fine.

7) I come from a long line of women that are terrible and disinterested cooks. Actually, more disinterested than terrible. We just don't care enough to try hard.  The men in the family are great cooks (but don't cook the main meals).  My male cousin is actually thinking about attending cooking school, and his sister can't cook. That's just how things go in my family.

No comments: