Thursday, May 9, 2013

The traveling one

I remember thinking several distinct thoughts at some point in my early relationship with Daniel. One thought was "I'm so glad he's happy in his career and that he also hates reading and studying and will never go back to grad school."  The other was "I'm so glad he works for a company that doesn't require him to travel."  My dad didn't travel much when I was a kid, but he did go to grad school several times and then my mom did as well when I was in high school. It wasn't bad, just busy.  And I have friends whose husbands travel a lot and it doesn't look like much fun for those at home.

Those thoughts came to mind this week as I'm preparing to travel again next week, this time being away from home for 5 full days.  My in-laws will come down before I leave and be here until just hours before I get back, so Daniel will have help.  Last time I traveled for work he went up to Canada.  He's got a job he can do from home and he works approximately 100,000 hours per normal week, so it's not like he's getting in trouble for only working 80,000 hours per week while he juggles the kids. 

And I juggled grad school  and work and kids and the review blog for the past 9 months. And if I can do it, he certainly can. But still. I feel a little guilty. I'm the stay-at-home mom, and I'm flying off on another trip without the family. (Being a stay-at-home mom and a travel writer at the same time is weird). 

Daniel is uber-supportive and I couldn't do any of this without him.  I just never expected to be both the one in grad school and the one traveling away from the family.  It's not bad, just not where I expected to be.

But in other news, I get to go on a hot air balloon ride on this next trip! BEST JOB EVER!!!!

No comments: