Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Would someone please explain to me how it is March already

I'm on spring break this week.  My first one in 10 years. And sadly, I'm about as boring on spring break as I was when I was younger.  So far my activities have consisted of doing laundry and watching TV on my iPod. WILD AND CRAZY!

Seriously. March? The 5th? I totally missed January and February somehow. 

The best thing about March is, of course, my birthday.  And since I was born in the year of the snake and this is again the year of the snake, I managed to convince Daniel that I deserve an extra special present (and I declared that since he is Chinese and the animal year thing is also Chinese, I was totally right). I love presents and spend months counting down to my birthday. I think he's giving in to me on this one. Especially since he wants a car for his birthday in September. 

In other news, 5 1/2 years into this parenting thing, I have FINALLY figured out a discipline system that works on Ethan. I don't like to spank my kids because I have a temper and I don't think it's a good idea.  And timeouts don't work on him because he just sits there and daydreams and could care less that it's supposed to be a punishment.  Same thing with being sent to his room. And he has too many toys to care if he doesn't have one in particular. And I'm not going to take away TV time because that would probably do me in. So I've been trying to figure this out for a while and FINALLY realized that Ethan a) loves sports and b) is the most competitive person I've met, other than my brother.  So I originally printed out these score cards, but then I got lazy and just started arbitrarily assigning him points for things or taking them away for misbehavior. And Ethan is obsessed with this, especially the idea of beating his sister. And it totally completely works.  His teacher overheard me assigning him points at school and she's started doing it too.

I know this wont work too much longer because Ethan will eventually learn to count and will also realize that Mommy is making the whole thing up and doesn't actually remember how many points he has.  DO NOT TEACH MY KID TO COUNT (actually, he can count, he just has trouble understanding what's a bigger and smaller number).  That's going on the list with telling time.  Skills that they don't need for a long time yet. 

And the other beauty of this system is that Vivian does not care one little bit (she's too busy plotting my overthrow as benevolent dictator of the house), so she's totally not bothered when Ethan has more points than her and so it's a win-win.

In other, other news, Ethan and I were out way late last night at a screening of Oz the Great and Powerful (review to come on the other blog soon, but go see it!) and he was up late and Vivian was at home with Daniel and also ended up staying up late and now she's napping.  I WIN AGAIN!

No comments: