Sunday, December 30, 2012

2012 in review

I normally don't do these "answer questions" things, but 2012 has been so awesome that I wanted to think back and remember it all for a minute. So here goes.

1. What did you do in 2012 that you'd never done before?
Went to Iceland! (Still excited about that almost a year later).  Hiked on a glacier, floated in a volcanic hot spring. Drank schnapps made from moss (SO gross).  Ziplined over a forest in Quebec.  

2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
No, did not keep resolutions. Even though I didn't make many. Might make one for 2013. I heard something on the radio about making resolutions tied into relationships. Like not saying you want to lose weight, but signing up for a race to raise money for a cause you care about and training.  That I can see me doing. 

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
A friend at church.  I don't think anyone else, but I'm not a huge fan of babies and so it wouldn't have been particularly memorable.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
No, praise God!
5. What countries did you visit?
Iceland! (Again, still excited).  Canada (BC, Ontario and Quebec).  US (Virginia, Oregon, Washington, California)
6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you didn't have in 2012?
Patience with my children. Particularly with Ethan
7. What dates from 2012 will be etched upon your memory, and why?
February 25- our 6th wedding anniversary. We spent the majority of it in Iceland and then flew back to Seattle that evening, so the day was 30 something hours long. Kind of cool. August 20th- the day I started grad school again. And my new job, that same day. Whee!
8. What was your biggest achievement of this year?
I got an A in Constitutional Law while packing to move, and juggling the travel job and the kids. 
9. What was your biggest failure?
I got fatter instead of thinner. Sigh.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I fell over in the bathroom one night and banged up my nose and cheek. But nothing major.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
I would say our new house, but technically I don't own it (yet- long, long story).  Love my Keurig, but got that for the review blog... Can't think of anything off the top of my head.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Daniel. My goodness am I blessed with him. He works insane hours, comes home, puts the kids to bed without ANY complaint or comment. He supported me mentally and financially and never batted an eye when I told him that I wanted to work at a company that doesn't pay me and also go back to grad school on our own dime.  He is patient and thinks my craziness is funny and hasn't once threatened to have me locked up.  I could NEVER pull off even a fraction of the things that I do without him as a partner.  He is amazing.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Pretty much just my own :)
14. Where did most your money go?
Target. And tuition for Vivian's preschool and my grad school. We've written some large checks this year. 
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Disneyland- there is something in the air there! And our new house.  Between the time we offered on it and moved in, I drove by pretty much every day. Or looked at the virtual tour online. I have issues.
16. What song will always remind you of 2012?
"It's gonna be a good life, a good good life!" It was on the Disneyland commercial and after we went to Disneyland, Ethan was obsessed with the song.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?
a) Happier (and better medicated)
b) Fatter. Again, sigh.
c) I honestly don't know.  This house buying thing has been complicated and money has been moving around between our accounts and investment accounts and accounts for the other properties and I have no idea.  Probably about the same as last year.  

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Exercise
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Yell at my kids when they were just being loud little kids and not really harming anything
20. How did you spend Christmas?
  Church, dim sum, driving back home to Seattle.  This was the most non-Christmas year ever. 
21. Did you fall in love in 2012?
With our new house. Maintained other loves as they were :)
22. What was your favorite TV program?
Big Bang Theory
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
I don't have the attention span to hate people. I lose interest and wander off.
24. What was the best book you read?
Kate Morton's The Secret Keeper. LOVE her books.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I don't really listen to music. Which is funny, because I'm very musical.  But I prefer podcasts and NPR.
26. What did you want and get?
This new house. Although I didn't know I wanted it until I saw it. We weren't even planning to move.
27. What did you want and not get?
I generally get pretty much everything I want :)
28. What was your favorite film of 2012?
Nothing really stands out... but I don't watch a lot of movies. Again, short attention span.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
35.  Still having a hard time believing I'm that old.  I totally did not remember my birthday, but then I went and looked at my blog entry and remembered that I spent the morning at the doctor with Ethan and his suddenly non-functional hip.  SUCH a weird illness.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
If I'd gotten my butt in gear and out to exercise more.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept of 2012?
Chubby Seattle mom.
32. What kept you sane?
God and Daniel

33. What political issue stirred you the most?
I do not discuss politics on my blog- but would be happy to talk about them in person! I'm pretty apolitical (even though I'm studying law and public policy in grad school), but there are some things that I cared about this year.
34. Who did you miss?
I tend to not miss people much. I'm a pretty out-of-sight, out-of-mind person, and I communicate with people all around the world on Facebook all the time. I do miss my best friend though- haven't seen her since my wedding and we haven't met each others' kids.

35. Who was the best new person you met?
I really didn't meet many people- did make one new friend who is insanely outgoing and friendly and she's a fun new person to have as a friend.
36. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012.
 God is faithful, even when things are crazy!
37. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
"a good, good life"! 

No comments: