Monday, October 1, 2012

"I'm good at my job! I'm really good at my job!"

I started to write a blog post on Friday morning, but it was really dull and essentially was me just talking about how happy I am to be unpacked for the first time in a month.  I'm sure you're all sad to have missed five paragraphs on that topic.  Recap of September: completely insane, exhausting and fabulous.  And now I'm going to have to not eat for the entire month of October because a grand total of ONE pair of pants still fits, and we're getting out of skirt season with the cooler weather.

Anyhoo.  Have been thinking a lot about a conversation that I had with a friend at the zoo on Friday.  She's recently returned to her part-time job, and she was telling me about her mood after work one day, when she realized that she a) loves her job and b) is good at it.  And she walked in the door and said to her husband (forgive me if I misquote, dear friend) "I'm good at my job! I'm really good at my job!" The thing is, this friend of mine is one of the best moms I know. She never seems to get upset about things her kids do and she's patient and plays with her kids and teaches them other languages and to read and she's also one of the most reliable friends I have and I could talk about how fabulous she is for the rest of this post. But the thing is, those things are all well and good, but they get overlooked on a daily basis in this gig as a mom.  It's that whole "lack of validation" thing. 

I really could relate to her statement, because I've been feeling very much the same way lately. I'm on week 7 of juggling my travel job and grad school and I am loving both.  Occasionally the professor will say something like "astute observation" and I'm walking on cloud 9 all day.  I love my kids and my husband and they will always be my primary responsibility, but it is awfully nice to be doing something else and have other people think I'm doing it well. Especially since my kids seem to be in a competition lately to see who can be the loudest/push each other's buttons the most/hit harder/make bigger messes.  Not getting as much validation from my child-rearing skills lately. 

That being said, my house? SUCH A MESS.  I have my mid-term exam next week and then there will be a massive cleaning/organizing binge going on here during my fall break.  That thought makes me insanely happy!

1 comment:

Lizzie said...

Well, now I got all the validation I need. I might have to bookmark this post when I'm feeling down. :)