Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The first day of school, 45 minutes of solitude, and the contents of my brain

Ethan had his first day of preschool yesterday- the bus actually showed up early on both ends (he's still on the bus WAY too long for a 5-year-old), and apparently school went well. Before he left, we took the obligatory photos:

They look pretty much the same as in last week's photos for Vivian's first day of school, but whatever :)  

My parents left this morning right after we walked Vivian up to school. Much weeping and sadness all around.  Their departure also meant that I had to deal with the kids' schedules on my own for the first time.  I honestly had a moment yesterday when Vivian was out with my parents and I couldn't exactly remember where Ethan was (he was at school). Daniel and I joked that I need to make a chart like an "in the office/out of the office" board to keep track of which kid is where.

Currently, Ethan leaves for school just after noon and I leave to walk up the (insanely steep) hill to Vivian's school at 12:50. This means that I have 45 minutes of solitude at home, two days per week. It's likely to shrink after they get Ethan's bus schedule improved, but I'm relishing every minute while it lasts.  It's especially precious after the last month of really fun and really fabulous gatherings and visits and trips and family reunions. They've been fun, but my introvert side needs to recharge a bit. 

Daniel got to go on a press trip with me this weekend, which served two functions. 1) We got to be together on a fun trip and 2) he got to see that what I do, while super fun and pretty much the best out-of-the-home job ever, is definitely not vacation.  It's fun work, but it's still work. It's nice to have him know that. Easier to leave that way when I need to go. 

And still juggling lots of balls in the air at once. I'm loving my constitutional law class- it's challenging and interesting and educational and I really am so glad I picked this class. And I love Trekaroo and doing all the many projects that I'm working on for them. However, I'm pretty sure my brain looks like the news ticker in Times Square- there's always something scrolling in the background, always something that needs to be done. Currently the ball that's gotten dropped is the kids' bedroom. It's massively out of control. Thankfully fall break for grad school is just a few weeks off, and I plan to deal with the disaster then. Until then, we are just happy to have the ability to close their bedroom door :) 

Anyhoo, that's what's going on in sunny Seattle. Can't complain- it's a busy life, but a good one!

No comments: