Monday, August 13, 2012

My princess

We are in self-imposed post-parties/gatherings/classes quarantine here at home.  SO many birthday parties this month.  TV is apparently very dull in November. The kids are currently playing some sort of game that involves hitting things with their plastic golf clubs.  The cats are safe in the bedroom with me, so I'm not overly concerned.

Ethan's party went well, and I only had to take an extra half dose of my antidepressant/anti anxiety medicines to go.  Also, I shut myself in my bedroom for an hour and a half before the party, which helped.  Everyone had a blast and the party was fun and well run by the amazing people at The Little Gym and the kids ate cupcakes and Ethan loved all his presents.  A successful party!

Vivian's been cracking us up even more than usual lately. She is in full on princess mode.  At Ethan's party, when the teachers were asking everyone their names, she introduced herself this way. "My name is Vivian, and I AM A PRINCESS."  She's not let me wear pants in weeks (princesses apparently do not wear pants) and this morning scolded me for wearing a dress in the wrong shade of pink. She then went to my closet and picked out a new outfit for me and instructed me to put it on.

The funny thing about this is that one of my earliest memories is of living in a tiny house in Pasadena, CA and having a fight with my mom about skirts versus pants. I did not want to wear pants ever, and she thought I should.  I still prefer skirts, but it's funny to be having this same battle 30+ years later with a different opponent in a similarly tiny home.

T-minus 7 days until grad school and the other job start. Whimper.

No comments: