Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Week 2- Operation "Largely ignore my children"

We're on week 2, day 2 of my summer project. And as I type this, the kids are sitting and playing with play dough together. And they have been for 45 minutes, without fighting, which is some sort of record for them.  Yesterday was tough, since they'd had mommy and daddy-attention pretty much non-stop from Friday morning to Sunday evening. So transitioning back to life where Mommy expected them to entertain themselves was rough on all of us. But today is going much better.

While they've been playing, I've been secretly going through their room and getting rid of stuff that they've outgrown or that they never play with. I generally remove the toys in question, stick them in the hall closet for a few weeks and wait to see if anyone notices. No one ever does. Then it's off to Goodwill or to the church nursery or on to friends with the toys in question. I'm being especially ruthless this week because Ethan's turning 5 this year and that means a birthday party (we only do them for 1st and 5th birthdays) and that means new toys. So I need to make space.

In other news, there is absolutely no other news. We have stuff going on the last part of the week (hurray!) but not the first part. And I'm feeling restless.  I need to find more stuff to clean and organize.

No comments: