Wednesday, July 11, 2012

My goals for the summer

Now that summer has finally started, I've been thinking a lot about what I want to accomplish in the next two months (whoo hoo! 2 months until Vivian starts school!). 

It's a given that I'm going to continue reading with them and working on them learning their alphabet (identifying letters, not reciting the alphabet). Because for some incomprehensible reason, Ethan still can't identify letters. Even though he's had tons of books and apps and games and TV shows and two years of preschool, he claims not to know any letters.  I started reading when I was 3 and I know that reading quickly and having good comprehension have been the basis of most of my successes in school and jobs, so literacy is extremely important to me.  Still, I'm not beating myself up over this. They'll both be in the hands of professionals again this fall, so I'm just trying to naturally include lots of books and reading in our lives.

My main goals have more to do with independence and learning to entertain themselves.  Both kids are totally capable of doing  most everything for themselves, but at least every other day someone is lying at my feet, sobbing that he/she doesn't know how to take off his/her shirt/nightgown/socks.  Which is a load of baloney and if ignored, somehow the clothing magically manages to get on aforementioned kid.  My goal for the summer is to continue working on confidence and developing skills and reducing the "youuuuuuuuu dooooo itttttttttttttttttttttttttttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" drama fits.

My other major goal is for these kids to learn to entertain themselves, without TV, for more than 2 minutes.  I don't even are if they're fighting while they play, as long as they're doing it in their room and not at my feet.  They're developmentally the same age and actually do like to play together, they have a room full of toys and games that they know how to use, and they do not need Mommy to play with them every single second.  They tend to not believe me when I tell them this, but it's true. Yes, I'm still going to spend time with them and play and read with them as much as possible, but there are times when Mommy has to get things done.  Like check Facebook or blog :)  Oh, and then there's the whole grad school that Mommy starts in 6 weeks... 

Keeping my fingers crossed for the summer...







No comments: