Tuesday, June 12, 2012

What I realized at the grocery store today

I'm leaving for Quebec on Sunday morning (happy Father's Day, Daniel- have fun with your kids!). And I'm really looking forward to the trip. Even though it's going to be 90 degrees there and I'm going to be doing all sorts of non-Carrie activities. Like rock climbing (that one is indoors, thankfully) and paddleboating and going through caves and over suspension bridges and hiking and biking.  I haven't done any of those things since my late teenage years and I am in my mid-30s now, so it's been a while. 

And I have to be away from the kids from Sunday morning all the way until late Friday night, which was making me a little sad when I thought about it.  Fortunately they've been in rare 3 and 4 year old form lately and I did just get back last week from traveling alone with them cross-country, so I think I'll be okay with that.

But what made me really excited for the trip was when I was in the middle of the grocery store today and it dawned on me that being gone from Sunday-Friday means I don't have to cook for anyone for a solid week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  And it's a win-win for everyone, because Daniel's mom is going to be here and she is a good cook of Chinese food and (as I already confessed) I neither cook nor often eat Chinese food. So Daniel and the kids will be happy without my cooking and I will be even happier without having to do the cooking.

I am a bit sad about missing the last day of school for the year, but Ethan will have the same teacher next year and his closest friends will be in the class again next year, so I am okay with that too. On that note, mostly trying to not think about the summer too much yet (because it brings on panic) and especially trying not to think about how on earth I'm going to get through the first month of grad school with Ethan underfoot (my school starts mid-August and he doesn't go to school until mid-September).

Anyway, not thinking about that. Focusing on no cooking for a week! Hurray!

No comments: