Monday, March 5, 2012

Potty-training. Please send tequila and chocolate.

Vivian's diapers departed from her life this morning. I've been waiting for her to be "ready", but it recently dawned on me that such a thing was never ever going to happen. Vivian is, how shall I say this. STUBBORN.  I didn't want to get into a battle with her about potty-training, so I hadn't pushed it, but enough was enough. She's almost three and I've changed multiple diapers nearly every single day for 4 years, 6 months, 3 weeks and 3 days. Enough. 

So the diapers left this morning and she's had two accidents and one success. M & Ms have been purchased. And she's responding exactly as I thought and hoped she might- embracing this whole thing and spending lots of time running to sit on the potty. She actually refused to wear a diaper to nap. 

Still, we're only 4 hours into this and I'm already sick of cleaning up pee and discussing the potty. It occurred to me that when I was potty-training Ethan, there was tequila involved. I may need to visit the liquor store soon.

I realized the other day that I almost never talk about the kids here anymore.  They are still around, I promise. They're just at sort of a weird stage- they're fairly self-sufficient (at least as far as preschoolers go), and they require  more from me in terms of entertainment than actually physical needs. If that makes sense.  It's not a particularly angsty stage for me- we're all just sort of trekking along and hanging out.

Vivian's a character though- so strong-willed, SUCH a prissy little thing but so ready to be rough and tumble with Ethan too. She loves to sing and put on performances for us, but also loves to sit and "read" her books.  I think she's going to be an early reader.  She amazes me with how grown up she is every day.

And Ethan. Such a boy.  He's loving school and is picking up all sorts of interesting words and ideas from his class of 13 boys.  Lots of poop jokes, mostly. He's up to almost 34 pounds and is doing well with his feeding tube and eating a bit too.  He's on his third round of antibiotics (in 6 weeks!) for an infection of his tube and we're really praying that this will be it for a while. Nothing slows him down for long though- he's always running and jumping and trying to play baseball or football or hockey.  Sports are his passion. 

I'm actually liking these ages a lot. I'm so not a baby person, but I like these little people.  They wear me out constantly, but it's a good thing. I think I'll keep them :)


No comments: