Friday, March 16, 2012

I apparently have a very magnetic personality

Hanging out in the condo. Waiting for a phone call from the washing machine repair guy letting me know he's almost ready to come to our rental condo to look at the washing machine there. After he calls, I get to load up the kids and head out in the crazy wind and rain to hang out while he checks things out. But after that! Target!!! And maybe Trader Joe's! And it's Friday, which means picking up Daddy at work and then going to eat sushi and visit the pet store and probably go to another Target!

Tomorrow morning I HAVE to go running. I've been making excuses because my back's been hurting and I haven't been feeling well otherwise, but now I have no excuses and I need to go out because the Free Them 5K is in two months and I haven't run a step in ages.  So there's that.

I finally just banished my kids to their room. Also known as the small place crammed with toys that they never seem to play with. Because they'd rather be climbing me or begging for my iPod or pulling the blankets off my bed to go "camping"
Admittedly, this is a very cute game

Mostly though, they just want to be wherever I am.  Cleaning the kitchen? In the bathroom? Sitting on the couch? They're there.  Which is fine most of the time, but it's been a long week of not much exciting going on and lots of time in the condo and I need them to separate from me physically for just a while.  They tried bringing their cars in here to where I am, after I banished them to play the first time. But I redirected that train of play back to their room and it seems to have worked this time.

In other news, Ethan's breaking my heart lately with his feeding tube stuff. He's finally realized that 1) not all kids have a feeding tube and 2) that he's different and 3) it's restricting some of his activities. He's a huge fan of climbing and playareas at McDonalds and IKEA, but his tube is super vulnerable to infection (three rounds of antibiotics in the past month), so we have to either remember to cover it up really well ahead of time, or not let him play in public play areas. Last night he was crying and asking when he could grow up and get rid of it, and when I again told him that he has to start eating first, he sadly looked at me and said "Mommy, I'm tired of this subject."

I think one of the things that surprised me most about our trip to Iceland was what a sense of relief it was to not have to deal with Ethan's feeding stuff for a few days. You don't know how heavy something is until you put it down and feel the relief.  His feeding issues and Daniel's rheumatoid arthritis are both this low-level, constantly present stress that I don't necessarily even acknowledge anymore, even to myself, because it's just reality.  It was awfully nice to have someone else dealing with mealtimes and lack of eating and the feeding pump at night and everything. 

Well, this post turned all depressing. And they're back, so I need to wrap up and get back to cleaning/trying to convince the kids to actually play with their toys without me.

1 comment:

Lizzie said...

Oh, man. that is heartbreaking. Poor Ethan, weary of going in circles too. Everything is in God's plan, but it's so sad to see a child suffer. :(