Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Studying

I'm studying math today. It is about as much fun as it was the first time around, 20 years ago.  Fortunately, I've always been fairly good at math. Unfortunately, I've forgotten every speck of what I learned in middle school and high school.  Today I started studying for the GRE, which is about 50% math.  To see what I needed to focus on, I took some assessment tests.  Basic math skills I did fine on, since those are actually useful, but geometry and algebra haven't entered my life in any real way since I walked out of the classroom.

Ironically, even though I spent several hours today studying math, I failed to spot the fact that our plumber overcharged us by $100 until well after he'd left.  So much for real-world application of math skills. It's been a very expensive day- bunch of money to the dentist this morning for a crown, then a staggering amount of money to replace the pipe and faucet in our bathroom. Which, according to the plumber (who did look apologetic as he said this) were clogged up because of my hair.  Yeah, I needed to be reminded of my role in this as I  handed over my credit card. 

So now I'm eating cookies and recovering from the agony of trying to remember algebra and geometry and of spending large sums of money on totally non-exciting things.  It's definitely a Tuesday!

No comments: