Saturday, November 26, 2011

An unexpected twist in the road

We survived Thanksgiving. Most of the day was pretty quiet- went running (along with most of the population of Seattle, or so it looked like), watched the parade on TV, then went to my uncle's house to bond with a couple of dozen relatives.  These are relatives that I am not actually biologically related to and I see one branch of this family only about once a decade.  My grandmother had the good suggestion that, since the local family and the family from the other city don't see each other often, we should try to not sit with our spouses and people we know well, but with people we don't talk to often. This backfired in a terrible way, as no one really could think of anything to talk about, and we were busy with the 12 kids who were sitting all over the place.  It was the quietest gathering of 27 people ever, I'm pretty sure.

But the food was good and we made it through and yesterday Daniel took Ethan to work with him (hurray!) and I recovered and cleaned our house and did things like that. And when we went out in the late afternoon to Target, it wasn't too crowded and we still got some good deals. And Daniel bought a new pair of jeans. In the kids department.  And you wonder why I have body issues.

Okay, so when I was about 3, my dad went back to school. He already had a degree but wanted a different one. I'm vague on the details, because I was 3. And then he got a master's degree at some point in time.  Again, I'm vague on the details.  My mom was a stay-at-home mom until I was 13, when my family realized that they could not pay for college on a pastor's tiny salary. So then Mom went back and got her master's degree and that took up several years when I was a teenager.

My brother has started a collection of master's degrees and certifications and things like that. He has been studying and in school pretty much non-stop for the past decade, with no plans to stop.

I got my master's degree when I was single, and always prided myself on the fact that I was done with all that and would never disrupt my family by going back to school. When Daniel and I married, I sighed a breath of relief knowing that he (disliking reading  and very well established in his career) would not ever want to go back to school.

I smirked when friends at church and in my other life went through the "going back to school while juggling family life" thing. Because that would NEVER be us.

I should have heard God laughing at me about then.  Because I spent a good bit of last week working on my grad school application. 

For a couple of months now, I've been thinking a lot about the idea of pursuing a degree in law and public policy. I've gotten involved in the anti-human trafficking cause and have been learning a lot about advocacy and lobbying. And I've had the feeling that I really needed some education and could be a much more effective advocate with some further education.  After a good bit of research, I found a program that really appeals to me- it's an online course of study through a major Christian university back east.  Right now I'm just applying for the certificate program, but when the kids are both in school, I can transfer my credits over and go for another master's degree, if I so choose.

So now I'm filling out applications and buying GRE study books (darned test scores are only valid for 5 years, and it's been way longer than that since I last took it) and freaking out about writing an essay and personal statement and things like that.  Oh, and wondering what the heck I'm doing, but at the same time really feeling that this is the path I need to walk down. 

I'm not applying to start until Fall 2012, so this wont cut into my blogging and Facebook time for a while yet. I know you were all concerned :)

2 comments:

Andrea said...

I think that's awesome!!! I am FIVE classes away from my bachelors. We got engaged and decided to move to Texas before i was done on the assumption that I would only need a year to finish....and then I got to Texas and found out their history requirement was ridiculous AND my diction classes didn't cover the language requirement and it was going to be another 3 years....soooo I dropped out. Not proud and I have always told myself I would go back when my girls were older....just to say I COMPLETED something.

So I am very proud/impressed/jealous! I want to go back someday and finish my bachelors and get my masters...

Maggie said...

Oh wow Carrie that is AWESOME!!!!