Saturday, November 5, 2011

Romance

Yesterday, Daniel did one of the most romantic things ever- he came home at 1:15 PM.  It's been a really hard week for him at work with some really late nights. But today they were not trying another of their (ultimately doomed) deploys, so he packed up and made it home early. And we were SO happy. We had a morning playdate with good friends, then only few hours of each others' company and then the fabulous Daddy was home and we were so happy.

And then last night my amazing church hosted a Parents Night Out, and we dropped the kids off and ran away to dinner and then to Target. It was so nice to have a meal without anyone throwing food or dancing next to the table.  During our date, I kept thinking- we should be more romantic or we should have more romantic conversations. And then I realized- this is who we are. These are the conversations we had when we were dating- ones about the economy and technology and bank accounts. Because this is us. We are not romantic people (Although Daniel does bring me flowers fairly regularly) Neither of us likes overt displays of emotion. We operate best in a world that is controlled and calm. And that works for us, even if it's not the type of romance that you see in the movies.  

So in my world, yesterday was perfect. My husband came home early, and was here for us. And then we spent time together at dinner and at Target. And we were happy.

3 comments:

Healthy Branscoms said...

Dusty and I started going on regular dates and it has been amazing for us! We still are "us" and go to movies and eat and chat about the kids but we love being together! :)

Meri said...

That's really sweet! I love that you ended with "and we were happy." :)

I have needed to remind myself lately to live with the circumstances that we have, rather than constantly hoping for something different - more time, different personalities, etc. It makes life much easier when I am existing with more realistic expectations and being content with who we are.

Andrea said...

We are the same way...Romance= him vacuuming, coming home early, and playing with our babies. :-)