Monday, September 12, 2011

Yesterday, I ran a 10K. And did not come in last.

Yesterday morning, entirely too early, my sister-in-law and I laced up our shoes and headed to join the 3000+ other women lined up to run at the Iron Girl race going on at Green Lake. My poor sister-in-law got dragged into the race by virtue of planning a visit on the weekend when I was going to be running.  And I'm so glad she was here- she ran with me, no matter how slow I went, also hated all the crazy fast people who were finishing the 10K at the same time we passed the 5K/halfway point, was willing to walk with me when I needed a break, and actually tried to finish behind me when we crossed the finish line. In the end, we crossed at the same time, and she is now alphabetically ahead of me, so she placed first.  I'm so grateful for her support that I don't even mind.
Us, pre-race. My family was forbidden from taking photos during or post-race. I love them so much for complying. :)
It's still a little mind-boggling that I actually ran and completed a 6.2 mile race.  Me, the person who never ran a step until last spring.

Now I'm going to rest up my achy legs and try to decide what to shoot for next. I don't think I have the attention span for a longer distance, which means I probably need to work on refining my running and maybe actually doing it in a way that I don't injure myself and end up fatter than I was before I started running. Just a thought.

Still, I'm awfully happy and proud of the 6.2 miles that I logged in public this weekend. Especially given that only 525 of the 3000+ people participating even attempted the 10K distance.  It's nice to know that I am capable of something physical like this. I'm terribly uncoordinated and am chubby, but I can accomplish things that I set my mind to.  It's good to know.

3 comments:

Maggie said...

OH WOW CARRIE! So proud of you! I do not have a 10K in me. You are so inspiring! I hope you can walk today!

Andrea said...

:-D Where is the "like" button?

kirida said...

you are amazing.