Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Shopping for Father's Day gifts

I may have mentioned this here before, if so, I apologize.  4 1/2 years of blogging and I'm probably starting to repeat myself a lot. The 4 1/2 years have not been kind to my brain cells.

Anyway, it's almost Father's Day, so I was temporarily worried about finding a great gift for Daniel. I'm getting one good item as part of a review on the other blog, but I still wanted to get him something out of my (very shallow) pockets. Except Daniel is about as easy to shop for as a rock. He doesn't really have any sports teams that he cares about, he doesn't grill often, he doesn't play golf or fish or do other guy things. He doesn't do home improvement projects unless absolutely necessary. And he doesn't read (Side note- I am still staggered by this fact- I read 4-5 books per week, and have pretty much every single week of my life. He reads ZERO. Per year. He also doesn't read magazines. This still blows my mind...)  He doesn't wear out his clothes or get too excited about new ones. Oh, and he doesn't care for food or drink much. He's totally fine with anything and overly enthusiastic about nothing.

So every gift giving occasion finds me in this quandary, with no idea what to buy. And usually I end up getting him nothing. And then one day I realized that he had not been planning our vacation online or shopping for real estate or working (things I usually find him doing). Nope, he'd been shopping on Craigslist for a new iPod.  Honestly, I'm surprised it took him this long.

Last year he got me our first iPod Touch and I used it and loved it and thought it was great.  And then for my birthday this year he got me the newest version of the iPod and we suddenly realized how pathetic the old iPod was. It rarely connected to the internet and was limited on stuff it could do. So we'd be out and about and I'd be checking in to places on Facebook and catching up with Twitter and getting my email and he'd be sadly pulling out the old iPod, realizing it had no signal, and putting it away. 

Finally he found a good used new version iPod at a good price and not too far away, so he got it and we have equivalent technology again and all is well with the world. And since he bought it within 3 weeks of Father's Day, me giving him permission to buy it totally counts as his gift. WIN for everyone :)

No comments: