Saturday, May 14, 2011

Proximity

People often comment about how many cultural events we attend and how many museums we seem to visit and that it's impressive that we're exposing the kids to so much.  Truthfully, although we do want to expose our kids to cultural things, it's not really about that. The reason we do so many thing is because they are close by. And usually cheap. Daniel and I are both extremely motivated by guilt and cheapness. and that gets us out of the house and to whatever is going on nearby.

This is a good thing for us, I think.  I know that once we have to decamp to the suburbs (not that that is going to happen anytime soon, thanks to the lack of sales of similar properties around here), we wont be coming to the city too much. Traffic and parking prices are powerful deterrents.  I know we won't spend as much time taking the kids to art galleries or festivals or whatever, although I'm sure we still will now and then.  With the distance increased, our guilt and cheapness motivation will decrease and we'll spend our weekends shopping or something (yes, my husband loves shopping).

But right now we're here and we do things, and I'm glad.  Today we had the opportunity to attend the Sichuan Opera Company's last performance at the International Children's Festival here in Seattle.  And I'm glad we went. It's a really cool group and it's not something we get to see every day here in Seattle. And the kids actually enjoyed it, which was cool.

And due to proximity again, I've signed up to run the Susan G. Komen for the Cure 5K in June. Again, it was too close to say no to, and for such a good cause. When there's a great race going on so close that I only have to walk a few blocks to it, excuses are few and far between. But I'm actually looking forward to it- apparently there were over 12,000 participants last year. I've never been a part of anything even close to that huge, so it should be quite an experience!

In other running news, I think I've convinced my sister-in-law (the skinny one who runs all the time) to run the 10K with me in September.  I think it'll be good to have some motivation on hand to keep me going that far!  Maybe I can convince her to run backwards or something so that she doesn't finish in half my time :)

Seriously, it blows my mind that a year ago I had never run a step in my life, and now I sign up for and run 5Ks like they're no big deal. And 10Ks are in the future! Crazy!

No comments: