Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Speaking out

Free Them 5k Fun Run

Max Lucado wrote something in his book Outlive Your Life that has really stuck with me since I read it. Here's what he had to say:
"A few years back, three questions rocked my world. They came from different people in the span of a month. Question 1: Had you been a German Christian during World War II, would you have taken a stand against Hitler? Question 2: Had you lived in the South during the civil rights conflict, would you have taken a stand against racism? Question 3: When your grandchildren discover you lived during a day in which 1.75 billion people were poor and 1 billion were hungry, how will they judge your response?
I don't mind the first two questions. They were hypothetical. I'd like to think I would have taken a stand against Hitler and fought against racism. But those days are gone and those choices were not mine. But the third question has kept me awake at night. I do live today; so do you. We are given a choice... an opportunity to make a big difference during a difficult time. What if we did?" Max Lucado- Outlive Your Life
The other thing that's really been motivating me lately is a song by Josh Wilson called "I Refuse". I love all of the lyrics, but one part particularly speaks to me right now:
Oh, I refuse

To sit around and wait for someone else
To do what God has called me to do myself
Oh, I could choose
Not to move but I refuse

I can hear the least of these
Crying out so desperately
And I know we are the hands and feet
Of You, oh God
I'm not at a place in life where I can hop on a plane and go off to the mission field or do any of the other "big things" that need to be done to help fight poverty and injustice.  But what I'm trying to remind myself is that I CAN do something. Even if it's small. I can support and pray for my sponsored children. I can give as God leads me. And I can speak up for causes like the fight against human trafficking. This is such an enormous problem all around the world, including here in the United States. But it's not one that is spoken of enough.  Slavery is going on around us today, and it is wrong. Here's some information from the World Concern website:
The reality is sobering. Impoverished parents who struggle to feed their children, or who are compelled to instead feed an addiction, sell their kids to traffickers--sometimes for as little as $50! Often it comes after believing lies about job opportunities in other countries.Other children find themselves meeting the wrong person, or being orphaned, with no good way to provide for themselves. When it's too late, they find themselves having to repay a debt to the person who bought them. Sometimes it's thousands of dollars, and it takes years to accomplish.
It doesn't have to be this way.
Once you know the facts about human trafficking, you have to act.
Learn more and do something about it.
Here's more about how World Concern prevents trafficking.
From the blogs: A first-hand look at how we protect children in Cambodia.
I'm going to lace up my shoes on May 7th and run 5K (while playing "I Refuse" a lot on my iPod!), thinking every step about families and children who are facing situations that are awful beyond my comprehension. If you'd like to help fight this problem, I'd love prayer support (especially since my shin splints are acting up again), and if you'd like to donate, you can find more information here.

No comments: