Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Sadness and peace

It's such a bittersweet thing, the death of a wonderful Christian man or woman.  Daniel's aunt passed away last night, after a short but intense battle with cancer. She's been declining rapidly and in pain for the past month, so we're glad she's at peace, and we know she's rejoicing with her Savior today.  But it's still sad to have to say goodbye. To watch her kids and grandkids mourn. To see her husband, who will not have her around to celebrate their 54th wedding anniversary next month.  To look at Daniel's dad, who now only has one living (full) sister left (I'm a little vague on the half siblings, as there were two simultaneous wives in the family and the family tree makes my head hurt).

The funeral is delayed until mid- to late- next week, so that people can come in from Hong Kong.  So I'm not sure exactly when we're heading up to Canada, but we should know soon.  Oddly enough, this is only about the third funeral I've attended since I was old enough to remember. I'm sure I'll spend most of the time in the hallway with the kids, but hopefully just having the kids around will be comforting to Daniel's parents. 

In totally unrelated news, Ethan came home today with a birthday invite to a school friend's party. Our first invite to a party where we know no one!  I'm planning on making Daniel go, as it's the same day as I'm throwing a party here in the evening, and I have stuff to do. At least that's my excuse, since attending a party with a room full of strangers strikes terror into my heart. Daniel isn't scared of people, so he'll be fine :)

1 comment:

Healthy Branscoms said...

I am so sorry for your and Daniel's loss. I am praying for you guys.