Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Packing (while thinking deepish thoughts)

We're headed north for the funeral tomorrow.  Dropping by the local tulip festival briefly on the way to get (hopefully) some cute photos of the kids frolicking in the tulip fields.  That'll probably last about 1.4 seconds before they start attempting to pull up all the tulips in sight and we'll have to move on.  :) 

I've been working with Ethan for the past few days, trying to prepare him for what's to come on this trip. With all his speech delays, it's still really hard to know what he understands and what he doesn't. But he seems to get that Papa is sad and that he needs to be sure to give Papa lots of extra hugs and kisses. 

For my part, today is going to be a quiet day at home to clean and organize and pack up pretty much everything we own.  Packing for Saturday and Sunday has been bringing a lot of thoughts to my mind, and has been making me think a lot about the message of Easter Sunday.  It's like a real-life example of this line from my favorite Caedmon's Call song:
And it's like that long Saturday your death and the rising day
When no one wrote a word, wondered is this the end
There was a devotion or book or something on this topic, which I no longer can locate, that talked about this same idea. How the Saturday between the cross and the resurrection was such a day of darkness and confusion. Even though the disciples had been told what would happen, they didn't quite grasp it, so that Saturday they were lost and confused and hopeless. Then the resurrection came on Sunday and there was so much joy and celebrating.

I feel like we're getting a first-hand tiny glimpse of that this weekend.  Even with the things I'm packing, I'm reminded of that. Subdued, somber clothes for the funeral, then fancy, bright clothes for Easter.  Saturday we'll be celebrating, for sure, because we know Aunt is with her Savior now. But it's still a sad day as we adjust to her not being here and feel her absence and as the family faces the reality of days and years without her around. 

And then on Sunday, we're going to be at church (the same church, no less) singing songs of hallelujah and rejoicing, sitting in the same pews where we mourned on Saturday.  Being brought face to face with the bigger message, the joyful message that the funeral is not the end, that Jesus' death and resurrection adds another chapter to Aunt's story and our stories as well.

I don't know if that makes any sense or not, but that's the sort of stuff that's running through my mind today. Those thoughts and the thought of "what on earth are my little kids going to wear to a funeral?" Daniel said "not bright and flashy", which rules out oh, ALL of Vivian's wardrobe.  Ethan will be fine, because his clothes are boring anyway, but Vivian's are all covered in flowers and sparkles and such. And let's not even get into the fact that I have to be brave and try on all my dresses today in the hope that two actually will fit me. 

Anyway- I'm going to be offline for a while, so Happy Easter to everyone! "He is Risen!"

No comments: