Wednesday, April 20, 2011

In which I apologize for being insensitive

I realized something today, through a comment that a friend innocently made, that some of the things I post here about cross-cultural marriage may not always come across as I intended, and often they're not as sensitive as they should be.   Although much about my husband's culture baffles me, and I may discuss it here as such, it's incredibly, incredibly important to me to still embrace it as much as possible. Reality is, my kids belong to that culture as much as mine.  And it's such a rich world with a history that I want to know more about, and that I want the kids to be able to explore and take in as part of who they are.


That all being said, I know that in my mind at least, I often think "oh, I'm married into this culture, so I can joke about it here or roll my eyes at things."  Even though I'll probably continue to do that (let's be honest, that's pretty much one of the top reasons why I blog), I'm glad that this is something that I had to stop and think about today. Because I know that my ways of interacting with Daniel's culture and family are going to affect how my kids perceive it. They're getting to be old enough that I need to be very deliberate about what I do and say, because little ears are listening.

People, this parenting thing is complicated! :)

No comments: