Tuesday, March 1, 2011

In which my 3 1/2 year old apparently needs to watch me more than I do him

As I've mentioned before, my parents are visiting- they arrived early last week and will be here until late this week. We've been doing a bit of everything- catching up with other relatives in the area, hanging out here, and dropping by the local museums.  One day last week we stopped by the Children's Museum to play.  As usual, the kids got out of the stroller when we entered the building, and went up to the desk to get their hands stamped. At the same time we were coming in, a large family was going out.  As per usual, I walked over to the stroller parking area, and the kids and my parents followed.

Or so I thought. We got to the stroller parking area (a few feet from the front desk), started taking off coats and mittens, and Ethan looked at us (three grown adults!) and said "Where's Baby?"  Sure enough, we'd lost Vivian in the few seconds since the hand stamps. Fortunately, she was just on the other side of the half wall, having gotten caught up with the family who was getting ready to leave.  So all was well. But seriously, I'm not sure when my parents and I would have noticed, if not for Ethan!

Then this morning I was getting the kids ready to head down to wait for Ethan's bus.  I got Ethan all dressed and ready with his backpack. And I got Vivian's clothes and coat and mittens on her, and turned to open the door. Which is when Ethan casually mentioned "Mommy, Baby needs shoes." Sure enough, I'd forgotten to put Vivian's shoes on her.

I'm supposed to be going running with Vivian this morning- but honestly, I'm a little scared to leave the house with her and without Ethan along to keep me in line!

No comments: