Friday, March 25, 2011

Even my 3-year-old knows that stealing things is wrong

My corner of the blog world has been in quite an uproar the past couple of days- over misappropriated blog content.  A local blogger discovered that some of her posts had been copied, word for word and posted in their entirety on another site.  The site did give her credit and linked to her blog, but never asked her permission or told her what had been done. And the site is running ads, so presumably it made some money off of people reading the post.

My reaction this morning was along the lines of- "how awful" and "thank goodness I'm not the one having to decide what to do in this situation". And then I went and looked at the site in question, as did a number of other bloggers.  And guess what? Our posts had been reposted too.

Now, while I'm fairly certain this site didn't make much money from advertising on my purloined blog entry (given the fact that there are a few people who read my blog posts, and the post in question got no comments when posted here originally), it is still wrong.  You don't take someone's work and repost it without their permission on your own site. It's called copyright law and yes, it applies to blog posts.

Seriously, it's a good thing there's sushi on the menu for dinner tonight- it's been one heck of a week!

1 comment: