Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Definitely not my best run ever

As I mentioned a few days ago, this past weekend when Daniel and I were on our anniversary getaway, we ended up staying at a hotel connected to a big workout/social club.  So I had the opportunity to lace up my running shoes and go for a job around the track, both Friday night and Saturday morning. And it was fabulous! Indoor track, climate-controlled, water bottle sitting on a step on the side of the track, soft surface.  I bounded around the track in the middle lane, over and over passing the older people who were walking on the inside lane. I loved running on the track for so many reasons.

It will come as no surprise to any of you who have ever met me or who have been reading this blog for any period of time to hear that yes, I am more of a "running indoors in a climate controlled atmosphere" girl than a "running outside, where nature can touch me" type of girl.  But this morning Daniel got up at 6 and headed out in the rain at 7 so that I could keep the car.  So there was no getting out of loading up Vivian and the jogging stroller into the car and heading for Green Lake (a nearby lake with a just under 3 mile loop).

The first sign of disaster was that the elevator in our building was out, so I was tired by the time I got Vivian and the fairly heavy jogging stroller down three flights of stairs to the car.  And then I brought Vivian back up because I thought I'd forgotten the all-important iPod. Which I hadn't, it was in my pocket. So back down again to the car. 

Warm and cozy in her new jogging stroller
I was still hopeful for a good run, but it was definitely not in that category. It is cold here today and rainy and I had never used a jogging stroller before, so found myself all of a sudden having to run differently and it's hard! I felt like I was back at the beginning of my 5K training, having to make lots of stops to catch my breath. I'm not used to the fixed front wheel of the stroller, so that was interesting too. 

But we made it around the lake and the important thing is that we went out and tried. Vivian did great in her stroller and warm stroller insert thingy. She was so comfortable that she fell asleep at 9:30 while we were running and stayed asleep through the transfer from the stroller to car, and from car to home. She's actually still sleeping 90 minutes later. Apparently watching Mommy exercise is exhausting. :)

So, here I am AGAIN. Working on getting into an exercise routine...AGAIN.  Trying to get my snacking habits back on track. AGAIN.  I am not happy with myself for all the ways I keep slipping up, but I'm not giving up.  I will run a 10K this summer and I will get some of this weight off soon.

No comments: