Thursday, February 10, 2011

Free time

We made it through our first full week of school. The bus riding is going well- my little boy disappears off onto the bus at 8 AM and is returned to me at noon.  He seems to like school and his new friends. Times like this I wish he had a little bit more ability to express himself- I feel very disconnected from the process at the moment. It's really weird to have no direct connection to Ethan's school, other than the school bus and emails now and then from his teacher. Really weird.

Vivian and I are still a little lost in the mornings as we try to figure out what to do. We went alone to the Children's Museum on Tuesday, where Vivian stood and looked around in confusion without Ethan there to direct her activities. She got the hang of things quickly though, and we had a good time, just us girls.

I suddenly find myself with something that I haven't really had since Vivian was born and Ethan quit napping- an hour of free time during the day! It's like the most fabulous thing ever! Vivian's perfectly happy to hang out in her room or color quietly at the table, so for much of the time that Ethan's gone, I can actually get things done. I folded laundry on Monday without anyone unfolding my laundry when I turned my back. I've been able to read my Bible and spend time doing devotions. It's kind of freakish to be able to do two whole things in a row without interruption.

So I've had time to think about what my doctor and Daniel have both been saying- that I need to find something that is my thing, something that I can get excited about doing.  I don't have hobbies or interests or activities at the moment at all. I need to get back to running, and I plan to do so soon, but that's not really a passion or excitement, just a "should do". But, since time still is limited, whatever I end up doing still has to be a small endeavour.

I actually know what it is that I want to do in a general way, I'm just not sure how to make it work or what I could actually do that's a concrete activity. My secret passion lately is for child sponsorship programs, specifically the one through WorldVision.  It interests and motivates me more than anything else that I've come across in a long time. I'm just not sure what I can do about that interest.

In other news, we showed the rental property twice this week, but no real interest yet. I have had to keep myself from falling at the prospective tenants' feet and begging them to just rent our little property, please! We need a renter! This has gone on long enough!!!

Time to get off the computer and go enjoy our glorious winter day here in Seattle!

1 comment:

Mommyto3andahusky said...

I'm glad Ethan's doing good! Have fun with your free time!