Sunday, January 30, 2011

Readjusting my way of looking at things

On a totally random note, has anyone watched figure skating recently? It's changed a lot from what I remember as a kid. Wild costumes, crazy music- lots more fun to watch! Which is good because 1) figure skating is on CBC pretty much all the time and 2) my kids are obsessed with it and demand to watch whenever we go past on the TV. Then they "skate" around our living room, which is very cute.
"Skating" with shoe boxes for skates

Anyway. Not the point of this post.  I've been thinking a lot about a few things this weekend. First off, I've been thinking about my life and how I view my current place in life. There are one or two things that always make me start to doubt myself and where I am, and both occurred this weekend, in an unfortunate coincidence. But this time I tried not not let it get me down. Yes, maybe the path not traveled would have been more fun and more exciting, but this path is pretty darned good too. Yes, we're really tired right now and fairly stressed, but we have been blessed with so much.  

I need to keep working on this attitude adjustment, big time.  I'm not good at this stay-at-home mom thing, but I need to stop moping about it and appreciate it and be more present in this time of life and less wishing away the long days.  I also need to start exercising again so that I have more energy and am in a better mood, but one thing at at time. 

The other thing I've trying to really watch is my perspective on romance and stuff like that. It's inevitable at this time of year- Valentine's Day is everywhere and our wedding anniversary is close too.  And I kept finding myself moping and wondering why Daniel didn't do certain romantic things that I'd hear about other husbands doing (I know! Worst thing for a wife to do ever!). And then this weekend, I stopped to really watch him and all the ways that he does show love. The man gets up with the kids in the middle of the night almost every night, without ever ONCE complaining. In fact, he never complains about anything, ever. He never voices that he misses his bachelor days, when he had a fancy car and motorcycle and slept lots and had disposable income. He's happy with how things are now- even though it's so different.

And last night I was on the phone with my grandmother while he gave the kids a bath (something else he does without ever complaining)- and when I came back into the living room, he'd started a load of laundry! Granted, it was an "everything in the hampers" load (he just stared at me blankly when I asked if he was washing whites or darks...), but he just did it. Because he knows how tired I get of laundry.  Today he folded the laundry and put away his stuff and Ethan's stuff too. Which is impressive on so many levels- he knew that I would want the laundry folded, but he also knew that I have a system for my clothes and Vivian's, and that I wouldn't want him trying to figure out where to put things!


Seriously, doing the laundry, even an "everything" load, and getting up with sick kids in the middle of the night- now that's romantic.

3 comments:

Mommyto3andahusky said...

I do the same thing. It sounds like Daniel and Dusty are cut from teh same cloth. We are blessed but at times we take them for granted. Sometimes I want Dusty to do things too that are romantic. Take advantage of every day being a stay at home mom. Some day they will be grown up. I wish I could stay at home with my kids but I know it just won't ever happen. :( I however do not think I could do it. Its a love/hate thing. Wish I could be there for them but know I would welcome the break. :)

Karen said...

My hubs sounds a lot like Daniel, he isn't a romantic either but he is so loving. I think the world and the media makes us forget that love is the what matters-- not the candles, and vacations, and blah blah blah.

CoffeeJitters said...

OMG he's a keeper. My husband is awesome in a lot of ways, and I love him dearly, but I'd fall over shocked if I saw him doing any of the things your guy does.