Friday, December 31, 2010

And farewell to 2010

It's another wild and exciting New Year's Eve here in our condo. Ethan's riding his strider bike around in circles while Vivian sits on the back of the tricycle and Daniel pushes Her Majesty around on it.  She is such a diva. :)  Fun week here, once we finally got into the vacation mode. Lots of to-do list stuff done, lots of organizing accomplished- trips to the Aquarium and IKEA taken- and still two days to go before Daniel heads back to work. Let me tell you, there is some serious child behavior reprogramming to be done then!

I'm having a hard time writing a year-end post, because so much of the stuff that kicked our butts this year is still ongoing.  It's definitely been a year to rely on faith and work on trust that God is in control. I pulled out my dogeared copy of My Utmost For His Highest today and reread my favorite devotion and shared it with Daniel. It's a devotion around Matthew 7:11 and is about worry and trust. Too long to post here, but I think this sentence from it pretty much sums up the whole thing: "Jesus is laying down the rules of conduct for this who have His Spirit, and it works on this principle- God is my Father, He loves me, I shall never think of anything He will forget, why should I worry?" I love that reminder- and I also love this quote from a recent Max Lucado book "Everything will work out in the end. If it's not working out, it's not the end."


I think, despite all the stress of these last few months and the ongoing huge uncertainties and issues that we face, it's been a good thing for us.  It's been a reminder for me to do my Bible reading and pray and spend time with the only one who really understands and who is in control.  And for Daniel and I as a couple, stressful times have not been fun, but we've been forced to address some issues and start doing a better job of communicating.

I can't say I'm sad to see 2010 for many reasons, but in other ways it was a lot of fun.  At the beginning of the year I had a 7-month old baby and a toddler- now I have a little boy who seems so grown up, and a 19-month-old who is going on 15 years old. They're talking and walking and interacting and play games together and have opinions and thoughts.  I'm really not the mom of babies anymore.  I'm loving the hugs and the "I love yous" and the stories that the kids tell me. They're growing up so fast, and I'm so blessed to have a front-row seat to all the fun. 

Anyway, that's what I'm thinking tonight.  I hope you all have a wonderful New Year's Eve and New Year's Day as well! Happy 2011!

No comments: