Saturday, November 27, 2010

My son ate SIX chicken nuggets today

So, last week Ethan caught the stomach flu that was going around our house. Daniel and I were terrified. The kid is in the 2nd percentile for weight, so vomiting profusely brought on visions of G tubes and hospitals and doctors' visits and all sorts of intense things.  Much to our surprise, on Saturday, after several days of being ill, Ethan walked up to the table and asked for food.

Since then, he's still not eaten anything in the neighborhood of what a normal kid eats, but HE IS EATING. On his own free will, most of the time.  Since the great stomach flu of 2009, our average day consisted of several hours of persuasion to get him to eat a bite or two of food. All day. Since early 2010, 95% of his daily calories have come from his nutritional drinks.

This morning I took him to therapy at Children's for the first time since the stomach flu of 2010. After he had done the motor therapy and such, it came time for eating therapy. And he sat in his chair, stuck his spoon in the yogurt and started eating. And he ate it all. And part of the pudding that the therapist had to go get because she and I both were utterly unprepared.  Then we came home and two hours later he told me he was hungry and ate six chicken nuggets.

People, I know 3 year olds are not good eaters, but seriously. Two bites per day is his average.  And he sat and willingly ate SIX nuggets today. I almost cried.

His therapist made a comment today about how calm I was about everything- and I think that I'm just feeling like I live in a tornado of uncertainty, having a child with a vaguely-defined, serious-but-not-actually-recognized-by-the-official-diagnostic-manuals disease.  Everything about kids with Sensory Perception Disorder is so "they might do this, or they might do that, or who knows" that I just can't get too into one expectation or another. And in a lot of ways that's worked against me, because, since I don't really understand what's going on, I don't know what to pray or hope for.

This week has been such an encouragement.  And you cannot remotely understand how much Daniel and I needed it.  We're hanging on by the slimmest of margins these days. So to have our son, who hasn't eaten in 19 months suddenly ask for food and eat it... miracle.  God is good, all the time.  All the time (even when I can't see it as much as I do right now), God is good.

11 comments:

Lizzie said...

I just read the title aloud to Adam and we were both like "GO ETHAN!" :) That's amazing news! xoxo

Andrea said...

That's AMAZING! So happy for you and Ethan. I don't think either of my kids has ever eaten SIX nuggets...Watch out for when he's a teenager and eats everything in sight. Boys can clear a house of food in a matter of minutes. :-)

Elizabeth said...

Yeah! That's so great. Go Ethan!

Karen said...

My heart started fluttering as I read this, I got goose bumps the further I read. THIS IS SO EXCITING AND SUCH A HUGE STEP!!!

maggie said...

That's CRAZY! Such good news, Carrie. YAY!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Carrie, that's WONDERFUL. So happy for you!

Jen said...

So happy for you and Ethan! Keep up the good eating sweet boy!

Amy Webb said...

That's so great! So glad things are looking up for you guys.

nisha said...

thts gr8! am so happy for you even though i dont know u except thru yr blog:-)things will look up from here- Nisha

L said...

Yahoo! Happy to hear.

Allie said...

Carrie...the whole eating this is my area of expertise...Ella had an NG tube...and they keep threatening G tube...let me know if you ever need to commiserate. I am following you now, so hopefully we can do this together, as it is increasingly difficult!