Thursday, October 28, 2010

Thoughts on things that I can do

Last month I read a book by one of my favorite authors, Max Lucado. It's a new book from him, called Outlive Your Life.  I love all of Max Lucado's books- they're simple, to-the-point, and very inspirational.  My brain is too tired for complicated books, so I really appreciate simple and direct these days. 

One of the things that the book talked really affected me deeply, because it was talking about a thought I'd had many times.  Here's the excerpt from the book:
"A few years back, three questions rocked my world.  They came from different people in the span of a month. Question 1: Had you been a German Christian during World War II, would you have taken a stand against Hitler? Question 2: Had you lived in the South during the civil rights conflict, would you have taken a stand against racism? Question 3: When your grandchildren discover you lived during a day in which 1.75 billion people were poor and 1 billion were hungry, how will they judge your response?" Max Lucado
This has really been on my mind lately as I prepare to volunteer for World Vision this weekend, where I'll be helping people learn about child sponsorship. Daniel and I don't have a lot of spare income, so I am so glad that World Vision gives us ways to help out as we can, through child sponsorship.  Sponsoring kids through World Vision has been such an encouragement and inspiration to us.  Our small amount of money makes such a big difference in their world.  I treasure the letters from my sponsored kids and their moms.  I'm so blessed to have enough money to buy food and clothes for my kids and know that they will be able to go to school and learn. These families don't have any of those things.  Easing another mother's burden a little bit brings great joy to me.

If you're looking for a way to share what you've been blessed with, even just a little bit- check out World Vision's child sponsorship program. Or the Christmas gift guide. Or think about sending a shoebox for Operation Christmas Child through Samaritan's Purse.  I know the world's problems are so huge and that we have lots of worries in our own lives, but there are also simple and easy ways to help.

Okay- getting off my soapbox now to head back to cleaning and tidying. My in-laws will be visiting Saturday while I'm gone, so I need to get things clean and ready today to show off!

Happy Thursday, everyone! 

No comments: