Saturday, October 23, 2010

For Vivian

Before I get into the main part of this post- seriously. It's the 22nd of the month. The 23rd in like 30 seconds. Our renter has STILL not paid her rent and she is confused as to why we're annoyed. Yes, we're blessed enough to own multiple properties, but we are not in any sense rich and our spreadsheet rarely has good news at the end of the month. Oh, and my life goal was to NEVER own even one property, and then I got married and had several and have been unhappy about it ever since. Tonight Daniel met up with our renter to discuss her eviction notice and rent and she came up with most, but not all of the money. He finally told her that he was done and that she would be meeting with ME from now on. Cracking my knuckles and smiling with happiness. One does not mess with a stay-at-home-mom who manages the finances...

AND on a completely different note- we went to the Harry Potter Exhibition tonight and it was so fun!  Today was member day, so we got in for free, which was great because we were carrying the kids (no double strollers allowed!) and the kids were anti-audio tour, but it was still lots of fun to look at the exhibits and see all there is to see.  I'm not sure I'd have been willing to pay full-price, unless we were without small people, but if you can get there with hardcore Harry Potter fans and without distractions (read: little kids), I'd definitely go!.

Okay, so for the main part of this post. It's now after midnight, which means that it's now "today" that I'm going to be starting running again. I've been off of it since my second 5K in September, thanks to a nasty case of shin splints. But I seem to be better now, and I'm also insanely fat, so it's time to get moving.

Every time I think that I'm not ready, I seem to immediately see Vivian. I am by no means implying that Vivian is fat. At her last doctor's visit she was in the 9th percentile for weight. But she's, unfortunately for her, growing up in a household with a mother who is overweight, and a brother who is seriously underweight. Which is a tough combo to deal with. She sees us applauding every bite Ethan takes, and she's already started picking up his nutritional drink or food and following him around the house with it.  And she's 16 months old.   That scares me. I don't want her thinking that our approval is tied up in food- even though that's somewhat what she's seeing with her brother.

I don't like exercise. But somehow when I get out there tomorrow and build up a sweat, I'll know that I'm doing it for Vivian. For her to know that she has choices about her body shape and her future. That her Mommy loves her and her brother, but that she is more than a Mommy, she is a woman who can run. And that Vivian can be that woman too.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

I like this so much! I feel the same way about my 2 girls growing up watching me.

My Mom made comments about my weight since I was very young, and I had to draw the line recently when she said some things in front of my kids. That's just not ok for them to hear. At the same time though, I do need to continue to do something. I've got the food part under control for the most part for the last several months, but I need to exercise.

And my current excuse is always, "Oh, I'll start next week after this thing....we're going here so I'll start after"....etc

Running is not really an option for me with my past knee surgeries, (car accident at age 17) so swimming, walking, and pilates has to be it. UGH