Monday, September 20, 2010

Monday morning

Thanks for your prayers and good thoughts for my Dad's travel issues. The passport made it to him and he made his flight and apparently reconnected fine with the rest of the team in Haiti. My mom's only had one brief phone call with him and it was a bad connection, so we'll have to wait until they come back home to get all the details, but it sounds like things are going well with everyone.  And it's apparently really hot.  Daniel and I were commenting on the humidity here this weekend (5th generation Pacific Northwesterner right here- don't judge. I'm a wimp) and then laughing at us complaining about 20% humidity while my family is dealing with something ridiculous like 90% humidity in Haiti.

Anyway.

So it's Monday again. I normally want to bodily throw myself across the door and prevent Daniel from leaving, but today he got on my nerves, so I was actually happy to shove him out the door.  I'm not sure what we're up to this week, as usual. This morning so far I've been pretty much just mainlining caffeine in a desperate attempt to wake up and reading books to the kids.

Oh, and I've developed the ability to simultaneously read two different books to the kids at the same time. They fight so much over books (and everything else in the world) that it's impossible to read one book to them, since they're grabbing it and hitting each other and it's no fun for anyone. So I've managed to learn to balance them both on my lap and read separate books to them each at the same time. It helps that I've pretty much memorized all their books. Yes, kids' books are what's taking up my brain space these days.

On a related topic- does anyone have any discipline advice for a toddler who yells/whines to get her way? Ethan never did this, so it's new to us. But Vivian just screeches at the top of her lungs when she wants something. It's terribly loud and annoying and is pretty much the source of my anxiety for our long plane trip last week. One of my friends heard her doing her yelling/screeching last week and said "she's an opinionated little thing, isn't she!" Understatement of the decade.  I, of course, have no idea where she gets such an opinionated nature...

Happy Monday, everyone!

1 comment:

Andrea said...

I'm having the same problem with Megan screeching at the top of her lungs. Emma gets yelled at a lot because I think she's tormenting Megan but I'm noticing more and more that it's just Meg being a pain. ha ha

I have been trying to jump on it whenever I see her do it, and put my fingers on her lips and give a firm "NO" which usually just makes her cry and screech all the more. If someone turns up with some good advice on that one let me know. It can send me over the top in seconds flat.