Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Stalling

Ethan's 3-year well-child appointment is in 8 hours and 15 minutes. I'm stalling on going to bed, because as soon as I do, before I know it it's going to be time to get up and a race to get Vivian up and fed and get Ethan up and not fed and get us ready for the day. Might I say?  There is one benefit of a child who doesn't eat- no factoring in meal times. Ever. Ethan never gets hungry, so I don't have to worry about his break fast time or stopping on car trips- just throw him his high-calorie drink and we're good to go.

Except for that whole 3-years-old and wearing 18-month pants thing.  That's not as fun. I know I shouldn't worry about the "growth curve", but he's barely on it. And his own curve is drooping, which is even more worrisome.

We have been stressing about this kid and his eating since I came out of anesthesia the day he was born. Then it was more about getting food into him to get rid of his jaundice. And then things got better after a month or two and we were actually starting to do reasonably well until the great stomach flu of 2009, followed rapidly by the great arrival of Vivian of 2009, and he's barely let food pass his lips since.

Today Ethan ate what we would consider a HUGE amount of food. He ate two  packs of gummy juice treats (100 calories each), 4 bites of birthday cake (I have no idea and don't want to know because I also ate birthday cake), a cheerio or two, and 6-8 bites of pot roast. And he drank less than one of his nutritional drinks. He's pretty much boycotting those, but he's not eating enough to make up for them, so I worry. Especially now that I have Vivian around and I see how much a normal kid eats. Seriously.

Can I just say that sometimes I get tired of being an adult? I'm tired of making big decisions about my career and whether we should find a different church and when to spend money on things that are wants not absolute essentials. Adulthood is wonderful and full of great things that I only dreamed of, but sometimes I'd like a break from it. Because it's also awfully hard and complicated.

1 comment:

maggie said...

Dude, Ethan, you must share your secret.

Carrie, I prescribe all the cake in the world. I'm sorry.