Thursday, August 19, 2010

One problem with never hanging out other kids prior to having kids of my own

I'm not sure if I've made this confession here before or not.  Okay, so here goes.  I don't really like children.  Don't get me wrong, I don't really dislike them either.  I'm just pretty indifferent. Sure, I babysat in high school and my first year of college, for the same kids every day after school and all day during the summer. And before that I did the typical 13/14-year-old babysitting at evening thing. And it was fine, but I was never that gung-ho about it.

When I was around other people's kids, I'd admire them from a distance, but never had much desire to hold a new baby or anything like that.  The kids didn't bother me, I didn't mind being around them, but I didn't have urges to hang out around small people or hurry up and get married and produce little ones of my own. I think this served me well in Ukraine, where I worked with babies and toddlers who had HIV and had been abandoned to the care of the hospital. It only broke 95% of my heart having to see how they lived and thinking about their futures, not the 100% that would have broken if I was more into kids. 

Anyway, I digress. My past is not the point of this message. Except for the fact that since I never actively hung out around young kids, I didn't know what it meant to have a 3-year-old. So, when Ethan was 13-months-old, it never occurred to us that having a 3-year-old and a 14-month-old at the same time was a STUPID IDEA.  Of course we hadn't had our first 14-month-old yet when I got pregnant with Vivian, so we didn't know about the horror of that age either.  Did your kids go through the bad stage at 14 months? Mine both have. The pushing the boundaries, getting into everything, running away quickly to do something else that he/she knows not to do.... And 3 years old is pretty much what my friends have been saying it would be. The mood swings! The saying "no" all the time!

This has been a rough couple of weeks. I was joking on Facebook today that my kids are having some sort of pre-dawn strategy meeting in which they plan who will misbehave and when.  Seriously, I think they're having conversations along the lines of "okay, I'll climb the bookshelf while you pull the cat's fur. Then I'll throw a temper tantrum about something random while you empty the cupboards. Be sure to never let her eat, drink a full cup of coffee or go to the bathroom alone. And whatever you do, let's be sure to NEVER sleep at the same time."  These things cannot be random.

Add into that the multiple poopy underwear incidents today and the multiple bowls of ice cream (chocolate, of course) that were dropped onto the carpet, since Ethan has FINALLY decided to start feeding himself, but only the messy foods... and you get a very happy mommy to see daddy come home tonight.

It's bathtime now and I'm supposedly making dinner while Daniel tries to get Ethan smelling more like a little boy and less like a homeless old man.  (Seriously, potty-training accidents=smelly kid by the end of the day, no matter how much you try to clean up).  Have I mentioned lately how much I love the fact that Daniel just walks in the door and says "what can I do?"  I would be lost without him.

I really have no point to this post. Just rambling and venting a bit so that I can get it out of my system and have the energy for a few more hours of mommyhood.  But tomorrow is Friday- the end is in sight! And we have so much going on this weekend. Including my first 5K, which I am TERRIFIED about, given how badly my training runs have been this week and how much my leg has been hurting.  But I have big plans to reward myself with cake if I don't suck too much at the run, and cake can motivate me to do pretty much anything :) I'll let you know how it goes.

3 comments:

Andrea said...

WEll, first of all, congrats on the 5k, I know you'll do great! And I think I'd exercise more if there were cake at the end. :-)

I TOTALLY get you on the what were we thinking thing with having kids less than 2 years apart. STOOPID. :-P

I remember liking babies, and little kids when I was younger, but as I got older and would see kids act bratty I distinctly remember thinking, "Eww, I don't want one of those" LOL...I never had the urge to get married or have babies either. I never planned out a wedding like most little girls do, it just seemed boring and mundane to me.

That being said, meeting William changed my mind about all of that. And yeah, we purposefully had our kids close together. I am constantly thinking that I can't wait for them to be older so we can have fun. I think I'm just in survival mode, everyday. And I read an article that just made me cry today because I KNOW I lose it way too much with the yelling, and I'm stressed all of the time. And I'd like to try and enjoy it more. I just don't know how....so if I figure out a miricale cure for the "hurry up and grow up alreadyies" I'll drop you a line.

Meanwhile, here is that article. it's actually a blog written by Michelle Dugger, the mother of 19 kids. I mean if anyone has any advice on child rearing it would be her right? LOL

http://blogs.discovery.com/tlc-michelle-duggar-blog/2010/05/do-jim-bob-and-michelle-believe-in-spanking-.html

The part that made me cry was the part about growing up in an encouraging home. :-( Maybe I need 17 more kids to help out around the house....I'm sure that helps.

punch said...

amen...

and this holds true even if they're 6.5 years apart. helllllllllll.

i can't wait to be old... ;)

Elizabeth said...

I TOTALLY get you on the what were we thinking thing with having kids less than 2 years apart.