Saturday, August 21, 2010

I survived!!!

I was just looking at the race statistics for my first 5K today. Not exactly competitive times on my part, but I did not 1) die, 2) quit, 3) end up in the hospital or 4) come in last for my age group. So I regard this race as a success.  I am registered for another race in early September, so I am hoping to be able to rest this week and then train after that and get these silly shin splints done away with.

The worst part of all of this is that Daniel knows that shin splints are partially related to calves and that me wearing heels or wedges 99% of the time is contributing to my issues=bad news for my cute footwear options.  Thankfully tomorrow we're going to the VIP suite at Emerald Downs to watch a fancy horse race and I have to dress up, so he can't complain too much :)

Seriously though. If you're thinking about doing the Couch to 5K program and doubting it....do not.. I am not a runner, I am still 30+ pounds over where I should be for my frame and I ran a race today and did not come in last. And you can too. Seriously. Just give it a try.

1 comment:

Spacebooke said...

yay! congrats. Do you think it's your running shoes? i once had shin splints and then got new runners and they disappeared immediately. Curious if you are starting to like running are if you do it just because it's good for you?