Thursday, July 15, 2010

Fractions of pounds

I walked over to the doctor this afternoon in the beautiful Seattle sunshine, to stop by for Ethan's monthly weight check. At a few weeks shy of his third birthday he's up to a whopping 25.8 pounds.  Fortunately that's an increase from last month, and we'll take anything that's in a upward pattern.  Unfortunately, it's not much up and not enough to keep him from slipping further down the growth chart. At this point Vivian eats about 6 times more than Ethan does at any given meal.  Thankfully he's not vomiting every day these days, more like 3 times per week and we're getting really good at grabbing him and moving quickly to the bathroom :)

On my weight loss journey, also moving by fractions of pounds, and also often in the wrong direction. Admittedly, I haven't been focusing as much on my diet as I should. I just don't seem to have the mental energy to spare for that. But exercise is going well, so I still feel like I'm overall increasing my healthiness. Today I finished week 7 of the C25K! It really is an amazing program. Hard to believe that 2 months ago I couldn't run for 45 straight seconds, now I'm running 25 minutes (with one or two occasional 10 second breaks, admittedly). 

On a completely unrelated topic, I had an interesting conversation with a friend today about being a mom, and the perspective that we have of each other.  I've been having a hard time for a while, feeling like I'm the only mom at my church who doesn't have it all together and who doesn't love every second of being a mom.  She pointed out that we're all usually rushing around to pick up kids from Sunday School and such, and it's easy to appear that you have it all together for a brief time. And, most of us genuinely are fine on Sunday- we're dressed up, we're around friends, Daddy is home to help watch the kids, we get to sit quietly for an hour or so in the service... life is easy on Sundays. It's Mondays that are the issue and on Monday we think that all the other moms are functioning as well as they did the day before when we saw them and that we're the only ones with a problem...

And potty-training- not as much of a disaster the last two days.  I discovered that letting Ethan play with a bowl of water, while messy for me to clean up later, helps distract him so that he can actually do what he needs to do on the potty. And we've gone 2 days without an accident! That being said, he's wearing a pull-up now, since we were out for a walk, and I'm totally dreading taking it off him and returning to potty-training :)

No comments: