Sunday, June 20, 2010

Reminder

We had a great Father's Day today- awesome sermon at church, good sushi lunch, good talk on Skype with my parents and a fabulous time at the Seattle Storm game that I got to attend because of the review blog. Visit the review blog tomorrow (hopefully) to read a recap of our experience!

The highlight of the day though, was the sermon at church. I actually tried to convince Daniel that he needed a day off from everything and that we should sleep in on Sunday. And the kids did cooperate and slept well, and I woke up feeling awful, with sinus issues, and joint issues and Daniel was hurting too, thanks to Seattle's continuing winter weather (55 and rainy here today! First day of summer tomorrow!).  But we went to church anyway, and I'm SO glad we did. 

At our church, the pastor preaches through a book of the Bible at a time, verse by verse. And we're in Matthew now, and today reached the verses about Jesus calming the storm. Some of my favorite verses.  Our pastor uses other verses in preaching about the main topic, and one of the verses that he mentioned today was Philippians 1:6-

Philippians 1:6 (New International Version)

6being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.

After church I was telling Daniel that I so needed to hear this verse today.  Often I feel like my usefulness is done.  I became a Christian in college (yes, it took that long, even though I grew up in a pastor's home!) and did mission work and lived overseas for a year as a missionary and sang in the worship band and all that... then I got married and had babies and now am at home and my world is so much smaller.  And I have trouble with perspective and with repetition and with mundane things, so I turn inward a lot and feel like life is just done for me. I did my fun things, I got my education, I did my mission work, I was involved at church... now what.

But hearing Philippians 1:6 was such a good reminder to me that God's not done with me.  He's here and working in my life now with the kids and our small life in our small home and I have a great job to do with them. And soon the kids will be in school and I will again have a moment to myself and I can figure out then where He's leading me to be.

I'm not saying that today fixed all the problems of discouragement and depression that I've been dealing with. I'm still not in a great place and I know that I have a long way to go. But it's such a blessing when God shines a bright light in a dark part of life and more or less hollers at us over a loudspeaker to say "I'm still here! Pay attention to me and things will be fine!" 

Praise God for reminders of what's important.

No comments: