Monday, June 28, 2010

Decisions

I'm trying to make a couple of decisions right now. One is not a big deal, the other a bit more.

1) Are we ready to get rid of the pack-n-play in our room that Vivian has been sleeping in on and off?  For the most part, we've got her used to sleeping in the crib in Ethan's room. Even when they go to bed at the same time it's gone pretty well, since they end up distracting each other long enough to get through those last few minutes of fighting sleep.  And they're both pretty sound sleepers, so even when one is crying, the other hasn't woken up.

Until now we've been keeping the pack-n-play in our room for naptimes, but now she's down to one nap, and I can keep Ethan entertained in the living room for that time. Today he and I cleaned out the dusty mess under my bed. Excitement!

I'd love to have the floor space back in our room- we didn't have much to spare to begin with, so it would be nice to get the giant bed out of there.  But will today's nap success continue? Are we really ready to finish the baby-out-of-our-room move?  Seriously, how crazy fast did she grow up!

She's still not used to sleeping in the crib, especially without her sleep sack

2) Career decision. One of my senior co-workers, a person that I've worked with very closely for 7 years has been asked to write a chapter in the latest update of a majorly well known book in our branch of science. And the chapter that he's going to be writing is about a branch of our profession where I've developed a lot of strength over the last few years. And it's one I enjoy.

But when I tried to do some work two weeks ago, I ended up almost having a panic attack and having to pull out with the work only 90% done.  Yes, I waste a lot of time on the computer during the day and am online a lot, but being online with the kids around doesn't require any brainpower or attention, and work requires a great deal of both.

Oh, and then there's the fact that I don't have any faith in my abilities or knowledge and freak out at the idea of getting outside my comfort zone.  My comfort zone lately=sitting in my living room and messing around on the computer. Pretty much everything else freaks me out. 

I've emailed my coworker back to ask more details about what he thinks this will require, time and effort wise. It's a long-range project, and maybe that would work better for me than these fast deadlines. I don't know.  Eek.  It would be awfully nice to actually accomplish something concrete for once, I have to admit that. Possibly worth all the stress and time that it would take.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

We still have our pack and play. I use it when we got out of town in the hotel room since its something Megan is used to sleeping in. 2 weeks ago we went to a friend's lakehouse and we set it up outside with some toys and Meg was entertained for hours. If you don't see the need for it in the future, i'd say sell it.

As far as career stuff goes, like you said, its a long term project. You can do it, and you know Daniel will watch the kids for you to go sit in a Starbucks or library for a few hours to work here and there. It's something you'll feel proud of, and that one day you can teach your kids to say, "mommy is published!"

I'd do it. :-)