Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Dear Vivian

To my beautiful daughter,

Right now you're sleeping peacefully in your pack n play in the corner of our bedroom. Your brother is out playing with your grandparents right now. It's been so fun to have them here to help us celebrate your birthday! I'm sorry that you're not growing up geographically closer to family- but at least we have great technology that helps us stay connected across long distances!

I can't believe that a year has gone by.  This exact time a year ago, your daddy and I had finished with all the hospital check-in procedures and pre-op stuff and were sitting in a nice, sunny room at Swedish Hospital, watching Cash Cab on TV and waiting for our 4 PM appointment.  I will forever associate your birth with that show.  That was definitely the last hour of calm before the storm- you've kept us busy since then.

You've been such an easy baby since birth- as long as you got your way in everything. We're already starting to see that you have a very independent little personality.  And you have definite opinions about everything, which you manage to express despite your lack of words.

Your favorite activity is going for walks and having people say how cute you are.  We know that you're well aware of your cuteness. Most of the time you are smiley and friendly, but sometimes you make people work for attention from you. 

We're fairly certain that you actually do know how to walk by now- even though you really want your hands being held at all times while you dash around the living room.   Life would be so much more fun if you were walking, I promise! 

Your brother loves you so much and I know you two are going to be good friends. The two of you fight over toys a lot, but you also want to be playing together and giving hugs and holding hands- that makes up for the fighting by far. 

I was a mother before you were born, but having a daughter has definitely been an eye-opening and wonderful experience. I can already tell that our relationship is going to be different than the one I have with your brother. Both relationships are so precious, and I love the differences.  I apologize for all the pink ruffles and frills and bows that I've dressed you in for the last year. I will continue doing so, however, for the foreseeable future. Mommy waited a long time to have a little girl to dress up.

Thank you for all the snuggles and hugs and smiles for the past year. You are such a blessing to your daddy, mommy and brother, as well as all of the other family members who love you so much. We're so glad that you are a part of our lives.




2 comments:

Picklebugmuffinsmommy said...

Happy Birthday Vivian!!!

Ashley said...

Awww, such an adorable post! You're a great mommy!