Thursday, May 13, 2010

Just as I suspected

So, today I had to get up and drive to Portland and arrive by 9:30 AM for an appointment.  For those of you who are not from around here, Portland is about 3-3.5 hours away.  So that meant I had to be out of the house before 6.  Which of course triggered Vivian to come down with something and run a fever and only want to sleep in the middle of our bed. Around 2:30, after being kicked awake for the thousandth time, I shook Daniel awake and told him that he had to do something about the baby, since I couldn't drive 7 hours and work on no sleep.

He, without complaining a bit, got up and slept sitting up with Vivian on the couch for a couple of hours. And then I got up and left him with a feverish baby and a crazy preschooler.  And he was working from home, so actually had things to do.

People, I did not get even one crazed phone call from him today.  He averages 3-4 insane Skype messages and usually at least one phone call from me per day. EVERY day.  I leave him with the kids? None.

I also came home to a fairly tidy house. Apparently the kids didn't do their usual running around and knocking things off the shelves and then running off to the next pile thing.  He didn't have to clean up the same things 4 million times only to have them messed up again minutes before my arrival home.

When I got home, he didn't throw the kids in my general direction and run off to the bathroom for a few minutes of solitude.  He didn't act tired or overwhelmed at all.  Even after a full day of taking care of a clingy, non-napping baby and a busy preschooler. SO annoying :)

This proves the point that I've known is true since we had kids. The wrong person is the stay-at-home parent in our family. Unfortunately, our mortgage cannot be paid with cute smiles from our kids, so he's going to have to keep working. I am fairly well paid, but not at the same level that he is, so it's just too much of an imbalance for that to be a real option.

Today also proved the point that I'm a better mom when I get a short break from the kids. Even when it's to drive for 7 hours and look at groundwater sampling reports for 2.  A day away made me miss them all so much, and it was so nice to come home to hugs and snuggles.  What a blessing- a husband that's truly amazing and some kids that are awfully cute and sweet!

2 comments:

kirida said...

I love driving by myself. Long road trips are the best. I get to listen to my own music!

Picklebugmuffinsmommy said...

Okay, well first of all, he did this for ONE day. YOU do this EVERY.SINGLE.DAY. Carrie, you are a rockstar! I am not sure I could stay at home like you do! So, you need to give yourself waaaaaaaaaay more credit!