Monday, May 31, 2010

I cannot believe it's been a year already

I think one of the weirdest thing about parenthood is how quickly it becomes hard to remember life before your child was in it.  I'm stunned to think that at this time last year Vivian was still just a wondering, just someone who enjoyed playing soccer with my internal organs and giving me heartburn.  It's hard to believe that it's only been a year since my last day ever of pregnancy.

There's something strange about my youngest child turning one.  We've been getting rid of baby gear and toys lately, but having her turn one really feels like we're leaving babyhood behind forever. She's SO close to walking and would love to be talking and doing everything else that Ethan is doing.  There's so little baby left in her. 

I'll write more about Vivian tomorrow and will update you on all she's up to. With birthday pictures, of course.

My parents came back from Portland yesterday and my brother and sister-in-law came back from their mini-trip today, so we had one last day with all of us together.  We hung out at Folklife Festival for a while, then came back and rearranged our closets (long story), then headed off to IKEA. My brother and his wife had never been (I know! Can you imagine!), so it was quite the experience for them.  Now I'm making Daniel assemble the bookshelf that we bought, since rearranging closets left us with big piles of books on Ethan's bedroom floor, and that can't last.

Sad news in the running progress. I tried to go out for the last day of week 3 of C25K yesterday and could not run. My knees just wouldn't go. I ended up walking the entire way, then having terrible pain all day, and being woken up by it last night.  Taking three ibuprofen at a time has helped a little, but not much.  So I'm a bit discouraged by that. I've always had bad knees, thanks to being overweight and a lifetime of sitting with my legs under me (I'm short, and my feet rarely reach the ground, so I sit oddly most of the time).  I'm taking a few days off of running to see if that helps, and fortunately already have a physical for Wednesday, so will mention it to the doctor then.  I'm really starting to get into this exercise thing though, and I hate to lose this momentum, so hopefully the situation will resolve soon! 

So, tomorrow is birthday celebration with my parents- Daniel has to go back to work (boo!), but we'll have cake and singing in the evening after he returns, and probably a trip to the Children's Museum during the day.  Much birthday excitement!

Hope you all had a wonderful Memorial Day.

No comments: