Saturday, May 29, 2010

And... vacation over :(

Well. That went by entirely too fast.

On Monday we headed up north to Whidbey Island and checked in to our amazing lodge right on the water. My mom actually said that she cried when she first walked in and saw the lodge and the view. I'm a non-nature, non-lodge-type person, and I still agreed that it was amazing!  My family generously gave us the master suite, since we had more people per room than anyone else. Vivian slept most of the nights in the gigantic closet. Seriously- the closet was bigger than the kids' room at our condo.  Ethan slept at the foot of our bed in the tent that I'm reviewing for Trekaroo, since the kids are incapable of falling asleep in the same room at the same time. 

It was such a nice week- we hung out at the gorgeous lodge and enjoyed the views and the amenities. We enjoyed walking around the nearby small towns and shopping and eating what they had to offer.  Everything was so pretty and wonderful. The most wonderful part was having 4 extra adults around from Monday afternoon to Friday morning.  The 3:1 adult:kid ratio works much better than the usual ratio we had going on.  My family did admit that the kids were a challenge, especially when they're together, since they fight ALL the time. This made me feel slightly less insane, so was a bonus. :)

Friday my parents and my brother/SIL packed up and drove to Portland to see my grandmother while we headed home. Mom and Dad will be back here tomorrow (hurray!!!!) and my brother and his wife will be briefly back on Monday before they fly home on Tuesday and my parents at a crazy-early hour on Thursday. But it's been a great visit so far. I would never want to live where either of them live- I love Seattle too much. But there is definitely something to be said for having family close by!

I do love Seattle though, and can't imagine living anywhere else. Today I was walking home from the grocery store and watching people drive in and jostle for parking and walk to Seattle Center for Folklife Festival- and I couldn't imagine being anywhere else. I know that my family was re-energized by this week in a serene, natural setting, but I am filled with energy from the city and the people and the constant activity going on. I love it here so so much!

A few pictures for you from this week:
View from the back of the lodge

My mom and Ethan in the back yard of the lodge

The bald eagle that lives in the backyard of the lodge. She has an eaglet in the nest and we saw it poke up its head every so often!

At the Bellingham Railway Museum. Vivian decided to not smile. All day. No matter how much people tried to get her to smile. And they tried hard!

Family on the stairs at the lodge, right before heading out

Soaring Eagle Lodge. I cannot possibly recommend it highly enough!

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Wow, what a gorgeous place! I have never been to Whidbey Island before, but I'm adding it to my list of places I want to go!