Saturday, April 17, 2010

Things really do go in circles

First off, I would like to make it VERY clear that I am not advocating one side or the other in the things that I am about to discuss. This is just a post to mention something, not to debate the merits of one side or another.

Last week I got an email from the director of Children's Ministries at our church, letting all the parents know that there had been an outbreak of chicken pox in my son's Sunday School class. Just an FYI to us. And at the end of the email, she let us know that, if we were interested, the family was open to the idea of a "chicken pox" party, to help expose our kids to chicken pox.

This made me laugh a little- because it just reinforces, to me at least, the fact that my church, while harmonious and happy, definitely has two more or less distinct categories of families. AGAIN, I am NOT making any judgments here one way or the other. Group1: Big families- usually at least 4 kids, generally homeschooled, non-vaccinating against chicken pox, moms had kids in their 20s.  Group 2: Moms who worked up until having kids or are still working now, generally married later, almost all had kids in 30s (and some in their early 40s), undecided about whether or not to homeschool/sending kids to private school or even public school, vaccinated the kids against chicken pox.

The funny thing to me is that, while I completely fall into the second group of moms, my parents were completely the opposite. I was born at home, homeschooled, my mom made her own bread and canned everything and made yogurt, and I didn't receive a single vaccination until I was 12 or 13 years old.  And that worked for us then, but now I'm a city-dwelling, not-a-chance that I'm going to homeschool, working part-time (very part time lately), vaccinating my kids against everything, had my babies in a hospital and loved it, mom. And that also works for me! But it does make me wonder what type of mom my daughter will be and what she'll like from the way she was raised and what she'll want to do differently.

Honestly, I'm really glad to be a part of a church where both types of families can exist and work well together. I think it's good to be exposed to different ideas and ways of doing something within a safe atmosphere.  It's encouraging to me. Still makes me laugh sometimes when I look at how different the families are at our church, but we all love God and each other and follow Christ and that's what matters.

1 comment:

Amy Webb said...

I'm glad you can so willingly accept families in both camps. Like you, I'm mostly in that second camp. When it comes to things like vaccines, though, I tend to think the refusers are a little nuts to be quite honest (especially for illnesses more serious than chicken pox). I guess the rational scientist in me just wins out.