Sunday, April 4, 2010

Don't worry, I'm not going to get all political on you here

First off, I would just like to say that I am one of the most utterly unpolitical people ever. I'm one of those people who hears a debate and listens to one side thinking "that's a great point, I agree", then listens to the other side and thinks the same thing. I'm so terrible at politics that I let my much more politically savvy but not an American citizen husband weigh in on how I vote.

So this is not a politically motivated post. I wish our president the best and have hopes for our country. I pray for whatever person is in charge, whether I voted for that person or not. The United States deserves good leaders and I know they have really hard jobs.

That all being said- President Obama made me very, very sad this week when he filled out his census form. Click here for the story. To summarize though, the president filled out his census form and only checked one box for his race, African-American. He had the option to check multiple boxes, and since he is 1/2 Caucasian and 1/2 African, I would have thought he would do so. But he didn't.

To some degree, I understand. He's married to an African-American woman and looks African and has kids who are African-American. But he is not just that. He is 1/2 Caucasian and was raised by that side of his family. It's part of who he is.

I know I worry a lot about keeping my kids in touch with their Asian side of the family and those customs, but I also worry about them being able to embrace their identities as what they are- multi-cultural kids in a new society.  I want them to be proud Canadian-American-Chinese-German/Irish/English kids. They are the product of a lot of different backgrounds and families.

I understand that our country waited for a long time for a black president and I am proud of us for finally electing him. I wish him all the very best. I just wished he'd checked both boxes and embraced all of who he is, and I'm sad today for myself and my kids that he didn't.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

I have thought that from the beginning. I have a niece and nephew that are mixed race African-American and Caucasian. We've always made it a point to let them know they are both, not just one. And to be honest, pride in a race, ANY race, is offensive and racist in my opinion. I think education and history are important for all.