Monday, March 29, 2010

Sugar-free jello versus cake. The choice is clear, right?

So, yesterday was my birthday. I turned 33. More about that in a moment.  As you all know, I'm doing Weight Watchers right now, and I've been trying to not eat dessert or sugary foods, but since it was my birthday we stopped at the store and picked up a couple of individual slices of cake.  Then we came home and had our usual crazy evening with the kids.  And at one point I made some sugar-free jello because I had a bad week weightloss- (gain!) wise last week, and I wanted to be prepared for this week.

The evening wound down and we got Ethan to go to bed and we ate our sushi and tried to keep Vivian from chewing on the cable cords, and she finally went to sleep and it was almost cake time.  Which is when I looked up to see Daniel dishing himself up a big bowl of sugar-free jello. Not part of the two pieces of cake, a big bowl of sf jello.  When I asked him about this, he told me that he would have some cake, and cut off the teensiest tiniest bit of cake ever and put it in his bowl.

People, I am married to a man that voluntarily chooses sf jello over cake. No, he wasn't just saving it for me, he knew we'd gotten enough for both of us, and I'd told him to help himself to cake right before he went to get his dessert.  I'm still confused by this.  A friend suggested this morning that it was probably an Asian thing, which is likely true. He was born and raised in Hong Kong and then grew up eating traditional foods and they just don't eat much sugar. My friend and I also ranted a bit about the horror that's Chinese cake.  It's total false advertising, all pretty and sugary-looking and then it's like eating bread covered in barely sweet whipped cream. So wrong.

In other news, I found out yesterday that I share a birthday with Kate Gosselin of reality TV fame .Which is fine- except for the fact that she turned 35 yesterday. And I think of her as a definite grown-up- she has 8 kids and is divorced and is unquestionably an adult. And she's only 2 years older than I am, which means I'm very likely older in real life than I am in my mind.  I'm having trouble dealing with that reality.

It sounds like Vivian is tiring of being in her pack-n-play- I was really hoping she'd give in and take a nap, but no luck with that.  Ethan actually is honoring me with one of his rare naps today- hurray for morning playdates that exhaust kids!  But this will give Vivian a chance to play with her toys without them being ripped out of her hands ever 30 seconds. The hazards and trials of being a younger sister!

Have a good Monday, everyone.

1 comment:

kirida said...

Happy birthday again! And I am still puzzled by the cake vs. jello situation. I say if you have the choice to eat cake, YOU EAT THE CAKE. You can have jello any other day.